 General / 1318
Re: Lego Design Contest?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 14:17:47 GMT

Robert M. Dye writes:
David Lukens wrote:

I got thinking earlier about the feasability of a lego design contest...

Would anyone be interested in participating is such an endevour?  The time
period between a topic being released and voting would probably be a month.

I think this sounds like a fun idea, but it would be difficult to have a
level playing field. We would have newbies with maybe $50.00 worth of
bricks going up against folks with who knows how many. It doesn't seem
fair.
OK, I've been mulling this over for the last 24hrs. since I posted, and how
does this sound.  Photos of physical creations are definitely allowed as are
cad drawings and hand drawings.  The topics for the competition would be
diverse.  We'd have one word prompts like 'wind' and then others like 'a
vehicle that only has 3 points of contact with the ground and a yellow pointy
bit on top that totals less than 500 pieces'.  That way we can have the widest
variety of entries.  On the one word prompts we would get both large and small
models and with the obscure prompts the people with tons of legos wouldn't have
the advantage of making a zillion piece cathedral due to the piece limits.

anyone would sqawk. I know I'd take a turn providing the prize (if we
are talking a monthly thing), and I would bet there are othes who post
here who would do the same.

Rob
That's a great idea.  I haven't even thought about the prize thing at all.
I've been working on getting the site ready.  The url for it will be
"http://scooter.cwru.edu/" for the time being (it's one of my personal
machines, pretty beefy and sits beside skeeter and fozzy) and the machine will
be going up on either January 3 or 4.  I will of course post the first topic
around christmas along with a copy of the rules (yeah, yeah, details,
details).  The rules are there just so people don't abuse the concept.

Mike and I are working on a way to cast votes right now.  It looks like it will
either be an email submission or via a web page, it's just a matter of putting
it together.

Any other questions or comments, please let me know

Scooter
DML6@po.cwru.edu