 General / 12757
Re: Amount spent - LEGO code update (Re: Brad Justus' Comments - Why Complain?_
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 1999 12:37:19 GMT

   I think spending thousands on Lego toys does not reflect your Love of the
Brick, but may well reflect on your sanity or your worldly success.  I also
thought your addendum to the Lego geek code was quite clever, and it caused
an LOL or two here.  Thanks for having the courage to say what you did and
for continuing your advocacy of your stance.

--
   Have fun!
   John

   Hooray!  Hooray!  Its Y2K!  A new decade starts next year.
Wayne R Hussey wrote in message ...
What do you want? My opinion wasn't "serious" when it was thought I'd only
spent a few bucks and was a neophite to the Lego Collecting Family - Mark
asked me "to come back when I'd spent 20 to 30 grand", been there, done • that.

And now the interpretation of what I say in response is taken as a way to
validate my opinion? Why is this a contest?

I stated my opinion (however poorly), and I'll have no problem if you • choose
to disagree with that opinion - as many others have. But why should the
disagreement take the form of whether I'm qualified (or you're qualified) • to
state an opinion to begin with? No one asked for your qualifications in • order
to state your opinion - as I was.

I am still interested in what you have to say about my point of argument. • So
far, this series of responses has not been to my argument - only to me.

Or maybe you could present your own opinions about those who want to • encourage
others to act against Lego's wishes regards the posting of inappropriate
material. Whatever. Just move on.

My (or anyone's) investment, in time or money, is not relevant to this • topic
or to the value of my (or anyone's) opinion.

The statement I began with is: We have no rights to use intellectual • material
generated by The Lego Group - and that if we want to behave as adults we • need
to treat their wishes with respect and responsible action. And that
responsible action includes not complaining about their expressed wishes.

Disagree if you do. But disagree with the message, don't aim at the • messenger.

Wayne

In lugnet.general, Jeff Thompson writes:
In lugnet.general, Wayne R. Hussey writes:
I believe that my 25 years of collecting and building with the Brick, and
about $50,000 spending - not counting increased rents, storage materials • and
other expenses - during that time, qualifies me as "serious".

In lugnet.general, Mark Harrison writes:
Hey Dad!! You seem to be too old to play with Lego.

So your message isn't a gripe?

And can't be very serious if you've only spent a couple of bucks on • lego,
come
back when it's more like 20 or 30 grand.

Mark H.

While I'm tired of commenting on the civility issues,
I do want to note at this point that while I am impressed with
the people who can afford to spend tens of thousands of dollars
on LEGO, I'm not impressed enough to grant that their opinion
is more important than my own.

Although perhaps if other people feel otherwise, a "amount
spent on LEGO" code should be added to LEGO geek code.
(reference:  http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Lofts/9639/lcodev22.txt )
With this simple indicator, we all will know how seriously
to take your opinion.

$-----   I can't afford to buy LEGO.  In fact, I can't afford to buy
        food and am starving to death.

$----    I have to shoplift LEGO.  I now post to LUGNET from prison.

$---     I have to choose between LEGO and paying my bills.
        Unfortunately, it's too cold in my state to live without
        heat.

$--      I have to choose between LEGO and paying my bills.  But
        who needs electricity?

$-       I buy only from garage sales - it's cheaper that way,
        and it's so much fun separating out the broken elements from
        the ritvik and erector set pieces.

$        I buy a set or two a month, preferably on sale.

$+       I buy a set or two a week.

$++      I buy hundreds of sets a year to auction the pieces off.

$+++     I am Larry (or the equivalent) [1]

$++++    LEGO Shop At Home calls ME every morning to see how I'm
        doing.  Tremble, mortals.

$+++++   I own the LEGO company.

--

jthompson@esker.com   "Float on a river, forever and ever, Emily"

[1]  Larry might argue that there is no equivalent.