 General / 12720
Re: Wayne Hussey's Comments - Why Not Complain? (was Re: Brad...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 27 Dec 1999 09:21:08 GMT

In lugnet.general, Tom McDonald writes:
In lugnet.dear-lego, Wayne R. Hussey writes:
Just the same way that driving is a privilage,
and not a right, your access to TLG information is a privilage.

This is not analogous. Driving is not a priviledge anymore - and if you think
differently, imagine having this "priviledge" is immediately and permanently
revoked, and see how well our world economy would get along without it. But if
we are going to speak of priviledge, driving is no more of a priviledge than
free speech.

<snipped most of post that I agree with>

I would argue (hence the .debate follow-up) that driving IS a priviledge as
opposed to a right.  The necessity of high-speed transfer of stuff (and it's
effect on our economy) has nothing to do with it being a priviledge or a right.

If driving were a right, you would not need an operator's license.  (mildy
circular, I know - but I'm tired and can't do better right now)
Operating a car is no more a right than operating a lawnmower is.

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/