 General / 12729
12728  |  12730
Subject:
Amount spent - LEGO code update (Re: Brad Justus' Comments - Why Complain?_
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 27 Dec 1999 18:10:02 GMT

In lugnet.general, Wayne R. Hussey writes:
I believe that my 25 years of collecting and building with the Brick, and
about $50,000 spending - not counting increased rents, storage materials and
other expenses - during that time, qualifies me as "serious".

In lugnet.general, Mark Harrison writes:
Hey Dad!! You seem to be too old to play with Lego.

So your message isn't a gripe?

And can't be very serious if you've only spent a couple of bucks on lego, • come
back when it's more like 20 or 30 grand.

Mark H.

While I'm tired of commenting on the civility issues,
I do want to note at this point that while I am impressed with
the people who can afford to spend tens of thousands of dollars
on LEGO, I'm not impressed enough to grant that their opinion
is more important than my own.

Although perhaps if other people feel otherwise, a "amount
spent on LEGO" code should be added to LEGO geek code.
(reference:  http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Lofts/9639/lcodev22.txt )
With this simple indicator, we all will know how seriously
to take your opinion.

$-----   I can't afford to buy LEGO.  In fact, I can't afford to buy
         food and am starving to death.

$----    I have to shoplift LEGO.  I now post to LUGNET from prison.

$---     I have to choose between LEGO and paying my bills.
         Unfortunately, it's too cold in my state to live without
         heat.

$--      I have to choose between LEGO and paying my bills.  But
         who needs electricity?

$-       I buy only from garage sales - it's cheaper that way,
         and it's so much fun separating out the broken elements from
         the ritvik and erector set pieces.

$        I buy a set or two a month, preferably on sale.

$+       I buy a set or two a week.

$++      I buy hundreds of sets a year to auction the pieces off.

$+++     I am Larry (or the equivalent) [1]

$++++    LEGO Shop At Home calls ME every morning to see how I'm
         doing.  Tremble, mortals.

$+++++   I own the LEGO company.

--

jthompson@esker.com   "Float on a river, forever and ever, Emily"

[1]  Larry might argue that there is no equivalent.

Wayne R Hussey wrote:

To all you gripers out there who think The LEGO Group owes you something • just
because you've spent a couple of bucks on their product:

GROW UP!

A lot of you complaining about Brad Justus' comments about what is • appropriate
and legal to do regards TLG intellectual property and its distribution on • the
internet, need to realize that TLG could, by rights (copyrights!) remove • any
posting of any image originally created by them. That's what "rights" • means.

Some of you seem to think that these rules violate your "rights". In these
circumstances, you have none. Just the same way that driving is a • privilage,
and not a right, your access to TLG information is a privilage.

Responsibility dictates that we as adults, act like adults. We, upon • finding
out we are doing things blatantly illegal, or at best, not in the interests • of
our community, make an attempt to correct our behavior. When we were • children
and did something wrong, our parents provided guidance or punishment to
correct our inappropriate actions. As adults, we are supposedly beyond the
need for someone else to influence these corrections.

Personally, I am becoming tired of the little minds that think they have • the
"right" to anything they want, just because they can get it. How many of • you
complainers would also believe that you have the "right" to drive drunk • just
because you able to? If caught, I'm sure you would gripe because the police
did something to "get" you. You weren't responsible. It wasn't your fault.

I propose that those of you who disagree with Mr. Justus' policies, quit
demonstrating your irresponsibility by complaining, and become responsible
adults and work toward making the system more the way you want it. In other
words: If you have a different destination, just tell TLG where you want to
go. Don't keep spinning your wheels telling them where you won't go. It • serves
no purpose, causes irritation and slows the rest of us down.

Wayne