 General / 12522
Re: Experimenting with Brasso (tm)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 1999 14:42:39 GMT

In lugnet.general, Paul Davidson writes:
I actually went out and bought some Brasso today, after reading messages
suggesting that it could remove the printing from Lego bricks.

I tried it with several of the smooth McDonald's slopes (pictures of
Grimace), and with one 2x1 tile ($100 bill print).

Result: the print comes off, but it takes a lot more work than I expected.
I had to spend at least five minutes on a single piece, rubbing furiously.
For the first little bit, you make no apparent progress whatsoever.  The
finished pieces were not damaged in any way.  All in all, Brasso works, but
you'd better be ready to earn those new pieces. :)

--

Paul Davidson

  ~ quit yer winnin' soldier! this WAR! _war_ against the pre-printed goofy
faces that limit our building options!   ;-)>
   if you thought the mc-d's slopes were tough, try doing this to a dozen
aqua slopes from rock raiders. these textured slopes are even tougher to
remove printing from!  it took me several evenings of rubbing away while the
tv was on, but in the end, i have smooth, blank 2x2 aqua slopes.  brasso
will also remove the texture in the process, but the finished surface is
evenly smooth.
   brasso also works well to clean dingy old pieces with worn in stains.  be
sure to rinse off, and dry your pieces when you're done.

later ~ craig~