 General / 11542
Re: Your Resumes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 1999 01:32:53 GMT

In lugnet.general, Kevin Loch writes:
Heck no!  I wouldn't even put that in if I was applying for
a job at TLC, depending on the job.  (theme development yes, network
engineer no).

1. It's not at all relevant to the professional skills/duties for the job.
You should not have anything in your resume' that fails this test.

Really? I thought the "Hobbies and Interests" section was to get an idea of the
type of person that you are - someone with a good personality can make a
positive impact to the team. Whereas the type of geek who loves the machine
more than the human can cause more friction than their 16-hour shifts give in
productivity.

You could always put: "Building with LEGO - requires planning and a
methodological approach" :)

2. For the vast majority of people AFOL is percieved as a sort of
social/psycological disorder.  This is due to a bug in socialization 1.0
and a misunderstanding of the complexity of the LEGO <-> mind system.

I'm suprised at this too - I was always very open about this at work - I named
my solaris host "lego", and got the sysadmin to put rtl on the list of allowed
newsgroups. And my desk... mind you, this is all after they've accepted me!

Maybe the UK is vastly different from the US, and maybe my experiences were
exceptional. It was a small company of about 30, with 6 vegetarians, (7% was
the national average) and 4 people who bought themselves LEGO (although only
two of us played with it at work).

The non FOLs just smiled and talked to me about it whenever they heard
something about LEGO. Maybe if I had been more secretive about it, I would have
had the misperception that you describe!

Richard