 General / *2830 (-20)
  Re: MiniFest in Boston on Monday

(...) Aw, c'mon -- you can make it! There'll even be pizza! --Todd (26 years ago, 22-Feb-99, to lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos)

  Re: MiniFest in Boston on Monday

Hmmm. I dunno if I'll make it; I'll try to stop by if I get a chance. I've been busy lately! :( (26 years ago, 22-Feb-99, to lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos)

  Re: TLG investigation 1st answers

(...) I'd disagree, sort of. A free-standing 1x2x5 brick is stronger than a stack of 1x2x1 bricks. But a 1x20x5 wall is better when built from 1xnx1 bricks than 1x2x5 bricks. Steve (26 years ago, 22-Feb-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: TLG investigation 1st answers

oops. (...) BETTER. I meant that the smaller pieces are BETTER in this example. Josh Spaulding (URL) (26 years ago, 22-Feb-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Wahoo! I won!

(...) <snip> (...) LOL! but see the god side, when your dig is chewing the crane it is bit chewing your shoew Martin (26 years ago, 22-Feb-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: TLG investigation 1st answers

(...) For my children, playing and building are totally intertwined. While they are building with legos, or creating a big "setup" with playmobil (1), they talk constantly about what they are planning to do when they finish and how much fun it will (...) (26 years ago, 22-Feb-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: TLG investigation 1st answers

(...) I can't find fault with either of those statements, but I must point out that developing a product for kids does not require "dumbing it down." Let's use some examples. The Star Wars movies and merchandise were not generally "dumbed down," yet (...) (26 years ago, 22-Feb-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: I would like some help, please... (More Dacta in Canada)

On Sat, 20 Feb 1999 23:22:35 GMT, Mark Tarrabain uttered the following profundities... (...) On my site is selections of prices of items available in the UK. I am scanning the 12 pages in that catalogue, but taking along time in doing so! Mr (...) (26 years ago, 22-Feb-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Wahoo! I won!

(...) I realize that even 5 large sets is one day's shopping for some people (but not every day's shopping, I hope), but it's as much lego as I would buy in several months, even half a year. And at least 3 of the five sets were kits I would really (...) (26 years ago, 22-Feb-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: MiniFest in Boston on Monday

I **DO** have about 8 9V creations with me, mostly stuff that has been seen on the pages, but did include my latest SW unit. I also have the frog game with me. Parking on Vassar should be starting to open up by 7 so there should be some street (...) (26 years ago, 22-Feb-99, to lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos)

  Re: TLG investigation 1st answers

(...) I wonder what effect this has on the designers who are still there. The saddest thing of all would be to see a great designer quit in frustration and be replaced by an average designer who is more interested in designing sets which please the (...) (26 years ago, 22-Feb-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Wahoo! I won!

(...) Monday morning building update: 9719 Mindstorms RIS --> only opened to get out RCX, and make it talk to another RCX. 8480 TECHNIC Space Shuttle --> Built up to the battery-box step. 4565 Freight and Crane Railway --> Built and dog-chewed :( (...) (26 years ago, 22-Feb-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: TLG investigation 1st answers

Tom McDonald wrote in message ... (...) I missed the original post where Jeroen seems to have said this. I have bought 3 or 4 sets in auctions, and perhaps over two hundred bought from stores or SAH directly. Jeroen, if you think expanding parts (...) (26 years ago, 22-Feb-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Wahoo! I won!

(...) If it has been used before, I'm ignorant of the occurance... (26 years ago, 22-Feb-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Wahoo! I won!

(...) <snip> Congratulations! I am VERY happy that an AFOL from LUGNET/RTL won this contest. I always participate in the contests and enjoy the anticipation of having a chance to win. It is great to "know" someone who did. And I am very happy that (...) (26 years ago, 22-Feb-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Low Corner Slopes in Roof Parts Packs?

(...) It's too bad that TLG doesn't make a 1x2 low slope (half pyramid) roof peak piece that would be used in conjunction with these low sloped corner bricks, like they do with the regular sloped bricks. Is that a possibility, or would there (...) (26 years ago, 22-Feb-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: TLG investigation 1st answers

(...) But Anders, if the *playing* is the important part, then why don't we just buy pre-built, ready-to-go toys for our kids? They're sturdier, usually; cheaper, just about always; have more functionality, without a doubt. If my kids want to play (...) (26 years ago, 22-Feb-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: TLG investigation 1st answers

(...) Or the good ones (ie, master lovers of the brick) all retired. But I suspect marketing pressure (particularly the push to shorter time-to-market, shorter product cycles, more products in market, and (oh, yeah!) the push to appeal to (...) (26 years ago, 22-Feb-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: TLG investigation 1st answers

(...) I have 100's of Lego sets, only about 5% came from auctions/private sales and some of those were from people who were clearing out old stock from shops. I have run a few auctions myself, but only for the purpose of purchasing more Lego! Matt (26 years ago, 22-Feb-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: TLG investigation 1st answers

Just want add one perspective to the dumbing-down debate. To my preference, not all toys *should* appeal to *all* kids (let alone adults). Kids have different talents. This means some talented 7-year olds may be able to build the Technic Space (...) (26 years ago, 22-Feb-99, to lugnet.general)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact