 General / 2811
Re: TLG investigation 1st answers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 12:30:42 GMT

Just want add one perspective to the dumbing-down debate.

To my preference, not all toys *should* appeal to *all* kids (let alone
adults). Kids have different talents.

This means some talented 7-year olds may be able to build the Technic Space
Shuttle, many others will never be, not even at an adult age. When designing
sets for the lowest common denominator to increase market share, set
complexity for (a given age range) will be dramatically reduced.

So what I regret most is that LEGO is aiming at kids that don't actually
*want* or *like* or care to *master* LEGO-building. It's like selling settop
boxes because people actually don't want a computer. And at the same time,
not producing any other computers for people who really want to be
challenged to the limits of the system.

Ofcourse, TLG has every right to do this to increase market share. But
personally I would prefer a smaller company, producing sets that are the
best they can be, targeted to kids, yes *kids*, but only those who like LEGO
for what it it is, not for what it is trying to be - which is all and
nothing.

BTW, when complaining about poor quality of recent sets, please don't say
the designers are stupid. From the past, we know what they are capable of;
they must be being held back by marketing regime.

Eric