 General / 2724
Re: TLG investigation 1st answers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 14:37:52 GMT

"Jeroen Ottens" <ottens@get2net.dk> writes:

If you ask for better sets, you ask for bigger sets with smaller
(unprinted) bricks for yourself.

For a lot of people, this is true.  A lot of people seem to complain
about the lack of basic bricks, and also the use of
decorated/specialized bricks that are only good for very special uses.

However, some people also think that many old sets are actually better
designed than new ones.  One example is how the bricks are put on top of
each other.  In early sets, the designers made sure that the stucture
had rigidity by putting them in this fashion:

+-----+-----+
|     |     |
+--+--+--+--+--+
   |     |     |
+--+--+--+--+--+
|     |     |
+-----+-----+

In some new sets, one can see this arrangement, even when the above
could have been used in stead:

+-----+-----+
|     |     |
+-----+-----+
|     |     |
+-----+-----+
|     |     |
+-----+-----+

My question is: Does Model Team fill that need (if only partial)? I
mean is that a good direction?

It is my personal view that Model Team fills that need.  Model Teams
sets seem to have a very nice inventory of parts, and are generally very
nicely designed.

Rerealese of old sets. I my opinion that is a setback. It would be
better to increase the appeal of new sets, than to rerelease old
sets, but maybe collectors don't agree with me on that one.

I fully agree with you here.  For me, LEGO is a construction toy, not
collector's items.  I'm generally pleased to see the introduction of new
parts, and also new sets, as long as they have good playability and
buildability.  Just like a lot of other people here, I dislike the new
Town line, because it seems to lack builadability.  I'm sure you
understand what I mean, as this issue has been brought up before by a
lot of people.

So with me, new sets are just fine, as long as they have the quality
some people seem to associate with older, classical sets.

Acknowledgement of the AFOL community.

Personally, I would like to see some kind of arrangement where the AFOL
community could interact with LEGO staff.  Perhaps this can be done in a
LEGO club, with meetings and newsletters?  I'm not sure, but at least I
think I would like some kind of arrangement where I could share my ideas
with other people.  (Right now I'm using the web for this, obviously,
but perhaps some kind of LEGO club would be nice in addition.)

Fredrik