 General / 2825
Re: TLG investigation 1st answers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 20:29:27 GMT

blisses@worldnet.att.net (Steve Bliss) wrote:

On Sat, 20 Feb 1999 10:10:08 GMT, "Anders Isaksson"
<isaksson.etuna@REMOVEebox.tninet.se> wrote:

Mike, don't forget - for You, the _building_ is the thing, for kids,
_playing_ is the greater part.

But Anders, if the *playing* is the important part, then why don't we
just buy pre-built, ready-to-go toys for our kids?  They're sturdier,
usually; cheaper, just about always; have more functionality, without a
doubt.  If my kids want to play with cars, they get out their
Matchbox/Hotwheels.  When they want to create their own stuff, they use
LEGO.

For my children, playing and building are totally intertwined.  While they are
building with legos, or creating a big "setup" with playmobil (1), they talk
constantly about what they are planning to do when they finish and how much fun
it will be to play with what they are building.  But they often spent hours
creating the "setup" and never get around to the play stage, or one time
recently they spent about 6 hours creating the "setup" and about 15 minutes
playing with it, saved it for another day, but never got around to playing with
it again and let it be destroyed.  If you ask them, they will tell you that the
playing is the fun part, but their actions don't confirm that.  I don't think
the building phase would be fun for them, though, if they weren't thinking about
playing while they were building.

Cindy

(1) The whole playroom floor covered with blocks, dollhouse, playmobil and
anything else they think of, sometimes some built out of legos thrown in.