 Gaming / 394
Re: Pirate Game Postmortem (Was: Re: Brickfest)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 20:43:06 GMT

Mr L F Braun wrote:

In lugnet.fun.gaming, Frank Filz writes:
Well, I guess I'm going to do some piecemeal responses... I will craft a
final report in a week or so though.

   Great!  Is this something you can share with us when it's crafted?

Of course.

Some quick comments before addressing some of Lindsay's comments:

After looking at some of the pictures, I'm glad I forgot tape measures
and rulers. The LEGO range sticks look real good in the pictures, and
highlights the LEGOness of the game. I will make some smaller rulers for
personal combat. Sometimes it was hard to maneuver the large ruler
through the ships rigging to get the range for a pistol shot.

   I agree--I really liked the brick rulers.  However, I do think
   that 1x3 segments would be more useful than 1x4 segments--I'd
   rather have compressed the range somewhat.  I think that our
   efforts at compression were definitely in the right direction,
   and made for a better game.

Actually, I wouldn't want to compress the inch any. The pistol fire was
difficult as it was with a -1 per inch. Compressing that would make
pistols almost useless (gee - I have no chance of hitting someone on the
other side of my ship...)

   I didn't see precisely how the pursuit took shape, but in my
   case if I had made straight for the ship, I would have been
   in a lot of trouble and would have ended up in a stern chase.
   I had to head it off and get ahead of it, and then pray that
   I could be close enough to get under it.  There was some
   tactical computation going on there.

You did have a wind which was a little more favorable to you though, but
yes, it takes some planning to catch another ship.

Chris and I also discussed modifying the weather to be a somewhat
simpler system, and also guarantee more changes in wind direction.
Playing a whole game essentially under one wind direction was boring
(and resulted in frustration for Shiri, a wind change would have either
given the merchant a surge and cleaner escape, or would have given her
an advantage).

   I think that all we needed was a greater variation across winds
   from the W, SW, and NW--a greater chance of wind shifting would
   really help.  But not to the point of making the wind suddenly
   turn 180 degrees, of course.  Maybe have one standard "wind
   tendency" per game?  Say, if wind tended to be from the West
   in any given game, the chances of wind changing would be computed
   either towards that direction or away from it?  An example:

What we talked about was definitely more variation in wind direction.
I'm not sure the variation in wind speed is that worthwhile. It added
complexity without changing much (if anything, it slowed the game down
because we spent so much of the game under a light wind). I forget if
actual wind generation charts are provided (I'll have to ask Steve about
those), but I think the system is designed for slow change. I think it
would be good for the wind to eventually change 180 degrees from what it
started at.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com