 Gaming / 385
384  |  386
Subject:
pirate chasing merchant (was "Re: Brickfest")
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 15:42:44 GMT

Ahoy, lass!  Arrrr!

In lugnet.fun.gaming, Shiri Dori writes:

Personally, the least-fun thing was the pace.
Once we started to really get going, attacking and all,
we had to wait a long time until you (as the only GM) rolled the dice, etc.
That made the game very slow, and a bit boring while you were waiting.

Hmmm....  When I helped SJ run his game at CoastCon in Biloxi
("http://www.lugnet.com/market/shopping/?n=1092";
"Beware Snake Island!  BWAHAHAHAHAhahahahahahahaha!!!" ;-)
Steve had several copies of the rules printed,
and we gave each player their own copy.
Furthermore, each player rolled their own dice results
(except, of course, for any NPC ships that fired back,
but I'll cover that in a moment).

Also, I was really frustrated with that merchant ship,
'coz I followed it diligently, yet every time I caught up on her,
you moved it further away.

Steve also had me run this lonely one-cannon Class 2 merchant tub,
whose sole purpose was to be chased down and boarded by the pirates
(hopefully, from the evil point-of-view of the equally evil GMs,
by more than one ship's crew at the same time, thus serving as a source
of competition! ;-)

So, each turn, as each player was plotting their own moves,
I was plotting the move of this cargo ship.

Eventually, a couple of pirate ships came within range
and started pounding her to bits.  Unfortunately for the pirates,
a fire started (!) aboard the merchant ship, and quickly got out of control,
eventually burning her down to her waterline, sinking her.
(One of the pirate ships did bother to rescue one or two
of the merchanter crew who went swimming when the merchanter sank,
so at least she got something out of the deal.)

Finally, in defence of the long drawn-out chase,
as every good pirate -- uhm, I mean, *sailor*, yeah,
that's it -- knows, "A stern chase is a long chase."

Thanks,
Franklin

PS,

Remember, there's only *TWO AND A HALF MORE WEEKS*
until Dragon*Con here in Atlanta!
("http://www.lugnet.com/loc/us/ga/?n=115")
And we've got Evil Stevie Himself coming here
to run the game!  :-D