 Gaming / 384
Re: Brickfest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming, lugnet.pirates
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 16:39:05 GMT

Frank Filz wrote:

A couple requests:

If you played in the pirate game, and haven't already identified
yourself and your ship, please let me know your ship's and captain's
names. Also, pointing out yourself in one of the many pictures would be
helpfull (though I know who most of the players were).

Hey Frank, it's me Steve.
I jumped in at about turn 5 with the Sea Wench under the direction of
Captain Slut. A drop in wind kept me from joining the fray for several
turns.

SUGGESTION: that anyone who joins late is not required to start on the edge
of the world but that some equitable placement be worked out. Perhaps if
the game space were gridded out then a random grid number could be assigned
to new players. It could liven up the game if a new, undamaged cutter were
suddenly to materialize off of someone's bow...

Once I got in range things started to get fun. Jeff Stembel offered an
alliance with himself and Nathan (thanks Jeff). Since Hurricane Shiri had
already whacked my Imperial Fort (by accident I was told) before the game
even started, I decided to join Jeff and Nathan against Tim Courtney, Mike
Schamus, and Shiri. I managed to steal a treasure bit, missed a mauling by
the guarding skeleton, and escape. A well-aimed cannon took care of Mike's
captured islander canoe, and I fished one of his men out of the water to
the delight of Capt. Slut (who is always looking for a few good men). The
crocs got the other one. Too bad.

Meanwhile, Jeff invited Jamison to join our little fleet so as to capture
the approaching merchantman that had escaped Shiri (through masterful
maneuvering and poor pursuit angle, or so I was told...) earlier in the
game. As Jeff angled Jamison's boat to cut off the merchant, Chris Weeks
approached from the other side of the cargo ship with his crew of Gungans.
An earlier non-agression pact turned into a full alliance as Jeff and Chris
joined forces and attempted to bracket the merchant. Combat ensued and
casualties were taken.

Jeff and i sent our three ships toward Flag Island to take on the Giant
Pigmy Cavemen. Before we could inflict casualties we took that fatefull
dinner break and NEVER RETURNED!!!!! Dant DAAAAAA!!!!

SUGGESTION: A poleroid camera or some digital/printout combo so we could
tack up pics of ships for ID. This is an expansion of the idea that
somebody (Chris?) had to post a sheet of paper on the bulletin board for
lists of victories, defeats, and treasure taken. We could also post large
sheets with the movement and basic combat rules for easy reference by the
players as well as the spectators.  I can look into that for next time.

I'd like to thank Frank for supplying so much Pirate stuff to the game. It
was a more enjoyable experience for not having to worry about whose bits
were whose.

Next year I'm bring a cooler full of Birch Beer for Perilous Pirate
Participants. Count on it! (And some water. The drink machines were dead.)

Non-game SUGGESTION: A lower setting on the AC. By the end of the day we
were all smelling like manly Pirate men. Well, at least I was. (Hope I
didn't offend.) Also, a bigger area with spectator space would have been
ideal.

Overall, I had a lot of fun and look forward to the next Pirate Game.

More suggestions as i think of them...
SteveC