 Gaming / 378
Re: Pirate Game Postmortem (Was: Re: Brickfest)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 13:46:24 GMT

Well, I guess I'm going to do some piecemeal responses... I will craft a
final report in a week or so though.

Some quick comments before addressing some of Lindsay's comments:

After looking at some of the pictures, I'm glad I forgot tape measures
and rulers. The LEGO range sticks look real good in the pictures, and
highlights the LEGOness of the game. I will make some smaller rulers for
personal combat. Sometimes it was hard to maneuver the large ruler
through the ships rigging to get the range for a pistol shot.

Mr L F Braun wrote:
This is probably why Steve has many "assistants."  When a game is that large, is
it possible to allow people unconnected to that particular battle to mediate?  I
have a feeling that a 5- or 6- person Pirate Game might feasibly be run by one
person in stretches of three or four hours.  I did indeed encounter the same
idleness issue once skeleton-slaying and alligator-whacking got underway, so my
response was to see if there was any way I could aid in resolution of other
pending battles.  The GM is certainly never idle!

In the future, in addition to using more GMs, I will delegate
experienced players to handle simple combat situations which they are
not a party to.

Also, I was really frustrated with that merchant ship, 'coz I followed it
diligently, yet every time I caught up on her, you moved it further away.
Perhaps having it move a constant distance each turn (wind-related, of
course), and actually measuring the distance (instead of arbitrarily moving
the ship) might've been a better idea, then I could predict where it'd end up
and board her.

My success in the game is largely traceable to a merchant vessel.  I'm glad that
the initiative system allows smaller ships to plot movement after large ones, but
it seems that a randomizer with regard to initiative might be in order--a skilful
merchant captain being better than an unlucky pirate.  But both my positioning and
the appearance of the merchant were quite fortuitous (however the appearance of
the Imperial ship was a nice balance--had the pirate base not been there, I would
have lost my prize and likely my captain as well). Of course, when you get above
initiative level 2, you have to start splitting movement into two phases--but even
so I wonder if perhaps without a randomized element, initiative becomes a snowball
factor.

I think an initiative randomizer would add too much complexity to the
game. The pursuit rules you mention below probably are a good comprimise
which helps in the situation where it is most needed. I don't think it
is at all a problem that the initiative gives the pirates and initial
advantage over the bigger ships. The idea is to be able to upgrade your
ship. Playing the whole game with a cutter would be boring. Note also
that cutters can be merchants or imperial ships (we just didn't have any
left for that purpose) so there will be times when the merchants or
imperials have a better initiative than the pirates.

However, if a ship starts out ahead of you, and the wind is constant, you're not
likely to catch them unless you've got a trolling motor or you damage their
rigging with shot, so as frustrating as the Fruitless Merchant Chase can be, it's
very faithful to the reality.  But didn't merchant vessels being pursued sometimes
dump cargo overboard to pull away or make themselves more manoeuverable?  That
would imply that a laden merchant ship would be a mite slower than a warship of
the same class.

But the frustration of pursuit is covered in the rules, to wit:
http://www.io.com/~sj/PirateGame1.html
under "Pursuit Speed."  Did we make use of this clause?

Yea, I didn't use the pursuit rules. You are correct in your analysis of
what happened though. Shiri probably could have caught the ship if she
had taken off at an angle instead of heading straight for it initially.
Of course that would have required guessing that the ship was going to
head in a straight line. It also could have more clearly escaped had it
changed tack (it had a 12" move 45 or 90 degrees off the wind to the
cutters 10" speed).

Chris and I also discussed modifying the weather to be a somewhat
simpler system, and also guarantee more changes in wind direction.
Playing a whole game essentially under one wind direction was boring
(and resulted in frustration for Shiri, a wind change would have either
given the merchant a surge and cleaner escape, or would have given her
an advantage).

A few other thoughts, really quickly:

-Should hull hits have an adverse effect on ship speed?  Drag is definitely
changed.

-I was going to ask about turning radius, but Steve already has a clause:  that a
ship can only turn as many compass points (ordinals and cardinals, or 45-degree
marks) as it has initiative points.  I'd amend that to exclude initiative points
derived from non-ship sources, or limited to one extra point, because there's only
so much even the best captain can do with an unresponsive ship.

-What do you (plural) think about the -6 grapeshot penalty?  It would seem that
grape would have a *higher* chance to hit at exceptionally close range; could the
-6 flat modifier be changed to a range-based modifier, or perhaps the penalty
reduced and the range limited?

-What do we think of odd weapons, such as murderers (the swivel-guns on 16/17c
ship railings) and mortars (monstrous examples of which I brought)?  The former
might be simply subsumed into "muskets," and the latter would be rare because
they're military siege weapons.  But as Frank stated in an earlier message, a
mortar would help to even the score between installations and pirates--and they
would have great strengths and equally nasty weaknesses that would pretty much
require a serious investment and probably also piratical cooperation (Arrr!  Ye
spake the forbidden word!).  Thoughts for siege mortar stats (in random order)
follow in the next message.

I need to look over all of these ideas. I do have some thoughts on
smaller cannon, though I'm not sure they will be feasible. I would like
to see an option to mounting two smaller cannon on a cutter. I would
also like to see more granularity in making merchant ships have lighter
armament.

Of course in all of this there is a balance in providing options and
having complexity which slows the game.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com