 Gaming / 393
Re: Pirate Game Postmortem (Was: Re: Brickfest)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 19:26:07 GMT

In lugnet.fun.gaming, Frank Filz writes:
Well, I guess I'm going to do some piecemeal responses... I will craft a
final report in a week or so though.

   Great!  Is this something you can share with us when it's crafted?

Some quick comments before addressing some of Lindsay's comments:

After looking at some of the pictures, I'm glad I forgot tape measures
and rulers. The LEGO range sticks look real good in the pictures, and
highlights the LEGOness of the game. I will make some smaller rulers for
personal combat. Sometimes it was hard to maneuver the large ruler
through the ships rigging to get the range for a pistol shot.

   I agree--I really liked the brick rulers.  However, I do think
   that 1x3 segments would be more useful than 1x4 segments--I'd
   rather have compressed the range somewhat.  I think that our
   efforts at compression were definitely in the right direction,
   and made for a better game.

I think an initiative randomizer would add too much complexity to the
game. The pursuit rules you mention below probably are a good comprimise
which helps in the situation where it is most needed. I don't think it
is at all a problem that the initiative gives the pirates and initial
advantage over the bigger ships. The idea is to be able to upgrade your
ship. Playing the whole game with a cutter would be boring. Note also
that cutters can be merchants or imperial ships (we just didn't have any
left for that purpose) so there will be times when the merchants or
imperials have a better initiative than the pirates.

   Good point.  Hmmm...I wonder if there would be any kind of upgrade
   one could buy to improve initiative?  ;)  But with "Pursuit Speed"
   below and a firm understanding of how each ship moves, I think the
   initiative system can be circumvented creatively.

But the frustration of pursuit is covered in the rules, to wit:
http://www.io.com/~sj/PirateGame1.html
under "Pursuit Speed."  Did we make use of this clause?

Yea, I didn't use the pursuit rules. You are correct in your analysis of
what happened though. Shiri probably could have caught the ship if she
had taken off at an angle instead of heading straight for it initially.
Of course that would have required guessing that the ship was going to
head in a straight line. It also could have more clearly escaped had it
changed tack (it had a 12" move 45 or 90 degrees off the wind to the
cutters 10" speed).

   I didn't see precisely how the pursuit took shape, but in my
   case if I had made straight for the ship, I would have been
   in a lot of trouble and would have ended up in a stern chase.
   I had to head it off and get ahead of it, and then pray that
   I could be close enough to get under it.  There was some
   tactical computation going on there.

Chris and I also discussed modifying the weather to be a somewhat
simpler system, and also guarantee more changes in wind direction.
Playing a whole game essentially under one wind direction was boring
(and resulted in frustration for Shiri, a wind change would have either
given the merchant a surge and cleaner escape, or would have given her
an advantage).

   I think that all we needed was a greater variation across winds
   from the W, SW, and NW--a greater chance of wind shifting would
   really help.  But not to the point of making the wind suddenly
   turn 180 degrees, of course.  Maybe have one standard "wind
   tendency" per game?  Say, if wind tended to be from the West
   in any given game, the chances of wind changing would be computed
   either towards that direction or away from it?  An example:

   PREVAILING WIND determined the same way as a wind direction
   on the first turn of a game.

   WIND CHANGES: Roll on 3d6:

   3 Freak shift of wind; now opposite the prevailing direction.
   4-7 Wind shifts away from the prevailing direction by 45deg.
   8-13 No change in wind direction.
   14-17 Wind shifts towards the prevailing direction by 45deg.
   18 Freak shift of wind, returning it to the prevailing direction.

   WIND SPEED:  Determine as usual.  (Can we add "becalmed" to it?
   Sure, no wind is pretty dull, but one could then use boats with
   oars to haul their ships away at low speed!  Pirate galleys,
   anyone? ;) )

I need to look over all of these ideas. I do have some thoughts on
smaller cannon, though I'm not sure they will be feasible. I would like
to see an option to mounting two smaller cannon on a cutter. I would
also like to see more granularity in making merchant ships have lighter
armament.

   I may look up some things in the next week and formulate options
   for deck sweepers, to accompany the siege mortar brainfarts.

Of course in all of this there is a balance in providing options and
having complexity which slows the game.

   Absolutely.

   best

   Lindsay