 Events / 781
Re: BricksWest 2003 Keynote and Q&A Session Transcrits
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 02:03:35 GMT

In lugnet.events, Ahui Herrera writes:
Brad:  <snip> I encourage you to continue doing that we
love to see it, probably the most important thing I can say, on behalf of
the company, is that we trust you with our brand.  We know that you will not
do the things that will violate the trust, you know what this brand is
about, even you Brendan (P. Smith)

Just to clarify, I don't know how well it comes across in a written
transcript, but at the time he said this, I really wasn't sure whether this
was some sort of admonishment toward me or what.  @8^)

Q19: Why were you singling me  (Brendan Smith) out? Do I do something that
is contrary to values, or that I am doing things that are congruent?

OK, I don't remember exactly how I worded this question, but I'm pretty darn
sure I never said I've never said the word 'congruent' in public.  I thought
I said something like, "...or is The Brick Testament something LEGO would
approve of because it inspires other builders?"

A19: the latter… three are people that have questioned what you are doing…

I really want to find out who these three people are.  @8^D

but again the fact that you are here and the fact that I think that you
think carefully what you are doing… Lego is or can be a means of expression
of art form.  We are not going to judge as a company what is good or bad we
would not be happy with something exceedingly violent but again its about
supporting your creatively.

A quote from Mike Rayhawk's website: "The LEGO Company is very vocal in its
stand against promoting violence in its product lines.  The swords, rifles,
cannons, lightsabers, death rays, and fatal axe-traps included in the
majority of their sets are intended only for creative and life-affirming play."

I love that.  @8^)

It was nice to get a little nod of approval from LEGO that they are not
"against" something like The Brick Testament.  Glad we've managed to earn
their trust.

-The Rev. Brendan Powell Smith