 Events / 778
Re: BricksWest 2003 Keynote and Q&A Session Transcrits
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 23:22:57 GMT

In lugnet.events, Paul S. D'Urbano writes:
In lugnet.events, Ahui Herrera writes:
Brad Justis, Sr. VP Of Lego Direct , Q&A @ Brickswest 2003 (2-15-2003)

[SNIP]

It is very much about basic creatively, not saying here is
what the castle looks like, here are the instructions on how to build the
castle and when you are done the castle should look like this.  But rather
putting the burden back on you in terms of using creative and imagination
and creating what is there in your head.

[SNIP]

What we are going to do tomorrow morning is open these up and play with them
as we have the round table.  You will also see that we also have some nice
idea books in them as well.

Did I understand right that some of you at BricksWest got to play with the
new creator sets at the round table?

Yes, there was structured play, the kids got to play during the round table
and then anyone who wanted to could do so during free time. Many of us
(including me) did so.

These sets look really neat and a lot of fun.  I was curious about the many
different models you can make.  Here's a bunch of questions:

It sounds like they don't come with instructions but with idea books
instead.  Is that the case?

They ARE neat, they ARE fun. The models you make are well designed. A lot of
thought clearly went into the parts assortment so you can build a lot of
things. The books are instruction books with step by step instructions for
many sets of models (I played primarily with the largest animal set)... they
are ranked by difficulty. There are a number of different sets of models
(for instance you can build an orange crab, a green gecko, a brown spider
and blue mosquito insect and a small bird all at the same time,or you can
build an orange bird, a blue fish, a green frog and some others at the same
time or other variants. That set's instruction book is some 70 pages or more
long.

How useful are the idea books?  Is it like the advent calender where some of
the smaller models are so simple that a single picture is all you need?  Are
there multiple views for the more complex models, or rough instructions with
big changes between steps?

Good instructions, well thought out steps, no confusion

Are there full instructions for any of the models?

Many many models have full instructions

How many models are in the idea book/instructions, roughly, 10s, 20s, 30+?

see above. 20s for the big ones I would say. less for the smaller ones.

I noticed with the RIS 2.0 software that although the challenges didn't come
with building instructions, between the rough steps they provided and the
360 degree view/zoom capability you could pretty much build the models
identically to the pictures without guessing.  I wonder if there is similar
support with these sets (obviously through pictures, not software).  I know
the intention is creativity but I have a feeling the kids would get
frustrated without complete instructions for at least a couple of the major
models on the box.  Or am I missing the point?

Maybe. There are other ideas available but a RICH set of instructions for
many variants. The target audience DOES need help and gets it.

Hope that helps.