 Events / 410
Re: Brickfest(sm) Service Mark
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 21:26:35 GMT

In lugnet.events, Kevin Loch writes:
In lugnet.events, Tom Inosanto writes:

Exactly. And it really sickens me to see how much of a stink the
east-coasters are being about us even using the name as reference.
Brickfest has made a name for itself, and it is nobodys wishes to take away
from that, our fest is a differrent entity, with hopefully different

If you use the word Brickfest as a generic term applying to other conventions,
it dillutes it as an identifier of the quality show that we produce.
Brickfest(SM) is a service mark belonging to myself and several others
who are responsible for the quality of the show.  We are considering
registering it with the USPTO.

None of that should discourage people from producing a west coast festival,
or anywhere else for that matter.  Just don't use the Brickfest(sm) mark unless
you are referring to _the_ Brickfest(sm) event.

Of couse you might ask why should you respect the Brickfest(sm) Service Mark?
While prior use does hold some legal weight, the real reason is that
we have already worked _very_ hard to produce a quality show.  One that
The LEGO Company participated in this year and hopefully came away with alot of
goodwill.

Obviously the entire AFOL community stands to benefit from the brand we have
built as future Brickfest(sm) events and activities will build upon our prior
success.

So I ask everyone to refrain from using the mark Brickfest(sm) unless you are
referring to the Brickfest(sm) event.

Kevin,

I am asking this in all seriousness. Please take the time to answer here as
honestly and as well as you possibly can.

What exactally do you, and the several others you mention, believe is
happening here in regards to the threads about a possible West Coast event?
In your own words, what do you believe is being discussed?

Also, have you taken the time to read, REALLY READ, the threads, and do you
feel that you understand them? Is there anything from the threads that you
feel you need clarification on?

In regards to the possible infringement of your service mark/possible
trademark, what has been done in these discussions that you are taking issue
with? What SPECIFICALLY do you wish to see stopped to assuage your mind?

While, as a graphic designer involved daily with the protection of the
property and rights of my clients in advertising and the media I understand
the very serious issue of protecting your rights and the name of your event,
and I do understand the concern that it is being 'genricized' to mean ANY
LEGO themed event, I truly do not understand what you are trying to say here.

Everyone here knows that your event is your event, and that your name is
your name. No one is denying that. No one is trying to take the name from
your organization. No one is harboring even the slightest notion of calling
another event by the same name as your event. I have said this many, many
times, but the issue and the problems just keep surfacing. Is there
something else going on here? Something we are not aware of?

If there are concerns related to the last paragraph that you would like to
discuss off the public boards, please e-mail me to discuss them. I have some
ideas about what these issues might be, but would need to hear them from
your point-of-view before lending them actual creadence. Also, if anyone
else from the other event would like to answer this message in their own
words, please do so here or via e-mail.

Matt