 Events / 403
Re: Brickfest, Westfest, Whateverfest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.org
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 16:00:20 GMT

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on a few points I guess...

Note2: I have nothing against LTCs.  They are great.  Its just that LUGs are
great too and can do things just as well as any LTC.

Except maybe the ability to focus.  Train clubs are centered around LEGO
trains. LUGs may be a group of Mindstorm geeks, Brickwars fans, castle,
pirate, technic, or some of or all of the above-- you get the idea.  While
train clubs might have members who are also into that other stuff, it is not
focused upon.  Also, the primary purpose of a train club is to show off the
group's train layout to the GP.  LUGs don't have such convenient venues (that
I'm aware) such as train shows to display their stuff (unless, of course, they
show their train stuff at train shows:).

First I can only speek from experiance and that experiance is with NELUG.  I
agree some LUGs may not be as focused as others but you could say the same for
LTCs I think.

From our (NELUGs) perspective I think we are focused, focused on LEGO.  While
LUGs may not have as convenient venues we still have venues.  We did Mindfest
and we are currently in talks with folks from The Boston Home Show to do a
center piece exhibit (budget remains a question mark but if the budget is right
and things fall into place we are probably going to do it).  Other groups have
done Librarys and such.

We have also done a huge Master Card for a promotion and got paid pretty well
to do it (see www.nelug.org for details).

I also think there is an oppertunity for Brikwars folks to display at a gameing
convention potentially.  I think as visibility of our hobby grows more and more
oppertunities will present themselves.

It seems to me that LUGs get together more to socialize and share with each
other than to show off to the GP (except, on-line-- "here are the pics of when
the XXLUG got together last month").  A lot of LTCs think of themselves as
ambassadors for the brick to the GP.  We don't just build with LEGO because we
enjoy it-- that's a given.  We want to inspire the generation of
ninetenelevendo kids to do it as well.  To turn off the TV and turn on to
LEGO.

While socializing is a major part of why we do NELUG part of that socializing
involves deciding what public things we what to do.  That includes train shows,
promotions, and the Boston Home Show etc.

As for "LTCs being ambassadors for the brick" I would probably alter that
slightly to say "LTCs are ambassadors for trains made from the brick".  The
brick itself doesn't need ambassadors.  Kids know LEGO, sure LTCs might show
them a side of LEGO they might have been unaware of but LTCs are not
introducing them to the Brick.

I don't think LUGs need to be ambassadors for anything, but I do think that we
try and do public events when they meet our desires.  Unfortunately for many of
us, LTCs included, I think we can have a negative effect on kids and LEGO.  By
that I mean that they see us present and say Wow that is COOL!!! then they
start thinking, or they go home to their LEGO and realize they don't have
nearly enough bricks to replicate what we do.  That can be discourageing, I
have seen it happen.  I think we all need to be able to get across that "while
you can't replicate this whole layout you can replicate one or two elements
from it" and make that a positive thing... But I digress...

While LUGs may have the same aspirations, I don't think that their existence
is for that purpose.  Ours is.  We have specific goals.  Not that we don't
have a lot of fun in the process!  And not that socializing with each other
isn't important! Heck, after having met guys from other LTCs in NYC last
winter, I *want* to socialize with these guys every year!  That would be the
primary reason for a National Convention for us.

Well I think we all have fun but LUGs do have specific goals (or at least can).
NELUG has aspirations for one day having an official Club house.  The only way
we are going to see that day is to do things like The Boston Home Show or the
MasterCard project.  We have already built up a fairly sizable Club LEGO
collection and all of our tables and train equipment has been paid for from the
club coffers.  Our members have had to sacrifice little in terms of real
dollars for club related equipment and supplies.  So we do have aspirations
they are just different.

I think anyone in an LTC or a LUG has fun socializing with other LEGO fans
because it is natural to share what makes you happy with others (not that LEGO
is the only thing that makes any of us happy).  If socialization was our only
goal I would still be happy but even socialization can be considered an
aspiration.

I think both of our glasses are half full, its just that the glasses are
different.

Eric Kingsley