 Events / 404
Re: Brickfest, Westfest, Whateverfest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.org
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 16:26:53 GMT

In lugnet.events, Eric Kingsley writes:
<much good stuff snipped>
As for "LTCs being ambassadors for the brick" I would probably alter that
slightly to say "LTCs are ambassadors for trains made from the brick".
Or, "Ambassadors for the brick, with an emphasis on trains".  I know the
GMLTC spends *much* more time creating buildings, scenery, vehicles, etc.,
than we do creating trains.  Yes, trains are what we focus on, but it's so
much more than just locomotives and rolling stock.

The brick itself doesn't need ambassadors.  Kids know LEGO, sure LTCs might
show them a side of LEGO they might have been unaware of but LTCs are not
introducing them to the Brick.
I'm going to disagree on this point - I think 'the brick' needs as many
ambassadors as possible!  Yes, kids know LEGO, but do they know all the
different parts to the system?  Do they know how 'the system' works?

Speaking from personal experience, both with the GMLTC and when I worked at
the LEGO Imagination Center:  Most people don't know as much about 'the
brick' as we think they do.  I can't tell you how many people I talked to at
the LIC that didn't even know that LEGO had a mail-order catalog!  They
don't know that Technic pieces work with "regular LEGO".  The don't know
that Duplo and LEGO work together - we'd have to show them.

All the different LTCs and LUGs are out there, showing the general public
that LEGO is a lot more than just bricks.  Sure, we have different things we
emphasize, but that's ok!  Do a Technic display at a science fair!  Do a
MindStorms display at a computer fair!  Do a train display at a train show!
Do a castle display at a renaissance fair!  Do a 'Brick Wars' recreation of
a famous battle for a historical society!  Just get out there and show
people that LEGO is *not* just "a toy for kids" - it's something much more
far-reaching than that...

Whew, I need to catch my breath...  ;-)

We all love LEGO, we all buy it, play with it, collect it, enjoy it.  Let's
spread that joy to as many people as possible.

JohnG, GMLTC
fut to .org, I'm just trying to keep this discussion in one place!