 Events / 409
408  |  410
Subject:
Brickfest(sm) Service Mark
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.org.us.lugola
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 20:39:36 GMT

In lugnet.events, Tom Inosanto writes:

Exactly. And it really sickens me to see how much of a stink the
east-coasters are being about us even using the name as reference.
Brickfest has made a name for itself, and it is nobodys wishes to take away
from that, our fest is a differrent entity, with hopefully different

If you use the word Brickfest as a generic term applying to other conventions,
it dillutes it as an identifier of the quality show that we produce.
Brickfest(SM) is a service mark belonging to myself and several others
who are responsible for the quality of the show.  We are considering
registering it with the USPTO.

None of that should discourage people from producing a west coast festival,
or anywhere else for that matter.  Just don't use the Brickfest(sm) mark unless
you are referring to _the_ Brickfest(sm) event.

Of couse you might ask why should you respect the Brickfest(sm) Service Mark?
While prior use does hold some legal weight, the real reason is that
we have already worked _very_ hard to produce a quality show.  One that
The LEGO Company participated in this year and hopefully came away with alot of
goodwill.

Obviously the entire AFOL community stands to benefit from the brand we have
built as future Brickfest(sm) events and activities will build upon our prior
success.

So I ask everyone to refrain from using the mark Brickfest(sm) unless you are
referring to the Brickfest(sm) event.

KL