 Events / 406
405  |  407
Subject:
The Fest out West (was Re: Brickfest, Westfest, Whateverfest)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.org.us.lugola
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 17:32:50 GMT

In lugnet.events, John Neal writes:
Here's how I see it.

1. Brickfest has become a great event, put on by the WAMALUG.  If I were
them, I would have no desire to take their show on the road.  It is a
regional event open to anyone who wishes to come.

Exactly. And it really sickens me to see how much of a stink the
east-coasters are being about us even using the name as reference.
Brickfest has made a name for itself, and it is nobodys wishes to take away
from that, our fest is a differrent entity, with hopefully different
attitudes. I thought we were all adults here, but when I see the bickering
from some of oue east-coast counterparts I have to wonder. Nobody wants to
steal you name, so I wish they would relax! We knew we had to get our own
name, not because of the stink some are putting up, but because we *wanted*
to. Si?

2. Those in the West should form their own regional fest(s).  Seattle
and LA seem to be the logical spots.  Trying to accommodate non-regional
travelers doesn't seem to make any sense to me.  If you hold it, and it
is good, they will come:-)

I think the point of all this is to have one fest out west. (I love the
catch phrase "The fest has come west" Or do you think there will be a stink
about us using "fest"??) I think one of the things that make
brickfest(registered name, etc) what it is that it is one fest, people can
combine forces to make it huge, otherwise you have dilluted, smaller fests
that people would be less likley to go to (reference Matthews survey)

3. As for the ILTCO, we are hoping to organize an International LEGO
Train Convention which will move annually across country to cities which
contain host LTCs.  If people wanted to piggyback on this event as a
National LUG convention, that would be up for discussion, but sites
would need to be in LTC-hosted cities.

An International event that stays in one nation :) I think what you will end
up with is slightly glorified local LUG meetings. Do not get me wrong, I
think it is a great idea.

I just think a National LUG convention that moves around wouldn't
work.   There doesn't exist an organization/committee/group that would
organize and run it.

lol, then whats up with what you said above? Is the difference that you
would only go to cities with LUGS, so are we (not moving it around, I think
this idea has already been trashed)

If anything, a National LUG convention should be
held in one place, and one place only.... Mecca (Carlsbad;-)

EXACTLY!!! lol, and I too ahve been saying this all along :)~

-John

And another point, I think we need to look at 'outside' activities for each
place we are talking about here. I have seen many people talk about bringing
family and kids, so this is a factor. I know here in Southern California
there is MUCH to do that people can sell their families on (Disneyland and
the new Disney park - California Adventure, Sea World, Knotts, everything in
LA, and alot of places in SD, Six Flags, etc), and this is a very big
selling point that would greatly justify why you why you want to drag the
family from wherever you are coming from.

Tom