 Events / 396
Re: Brickfest, Westfest, Whateverfest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.org
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 13:54:27 GMT

In lugnet.events, John Neal writes:

3. As for the ILTCO, we are hoping to organize an International LEGO
Train Convention which will move annually across country to cities which
contain host LTCs.  If people wanted to piggyback on this event as a
National LUG convention, that would be up for discussion, but sites
would need to be in LTC-hosted cities.

I think is already been said but an International LEGO Train COnvention that
moves across country (USA infered) doesn't sound very international.

Second what is an "LTC-hosted city"?  Is Boston an "LTC-hosted city"?
Technically there isn't an offical LTC in the Boston or New England area
because we choose to be a LUG.  We do train shows though so does that qualify
us?

I am real sorry about this part of my post, I hate being negative.  I just get
the feeling that if you don't call yourself an LTC then you just arn't worthy.

I just think a National LUG convention that moves around wouldn't
work.   There doesn't exist an organization/committee/group that would
organize and run it.  If anything, a National LUG convention should be
held in one place, and one place only.... Mecca (Carlsbad;-)

OK maybe it wouldn't work today but we wouldn't be talking about a National LTC
convention if the ILTCO wasn't started and that came about just a couple months
ago.  What is preventing the LUGs of the world from starting their own umbrella
organization that would organize a National (or International) LUG convention?
And why can an International LTC convention roam the "contry" while a LUG
convention can only be in one place?

LUGs are not individuals.  LUGs are groups of individuals that share a common
interest and meet on a semi-regular basis to share that interest.  Sounds like
a Club to me.  LUGs are no more or less organized than LTCs, we just share a
broader interest set.

Note: I am not volunteering to start a national LUG umbrella group just stating
that such a group is possible and could happen.  If someone wants to take the
idea and run with it then I encourage you to do so I would be willing to
volunteer help and ideas but I don't have the time to organize it.

Note2: I have nothing against LTCs.  They are great.  Its just that LUGs are
great too and can do things just as well as any LTC.

My 2 cents

Eric Kingsley