 Duplo / 366
Re: Duplo Printed Bricks Database
Newsgroups:
lugnet.duplo
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2001 14:24:45 GMT

In lugnet.duplo, Matthias Jetleb writes:
I've just finished spending four hours cleaning my collection of Duplo
in order to give it to my son (18 months). I so happens that yesterday
I was reading about your quest for a catalog of printed Duplo pieces,
so while I was cleaning, I diverted anything and everything that was
printed. I must point out that I took you literally and separated
*everything* that had printing on it and in re-reading your message I
now note that you are concentrating on the 1x2 bricks. Perhaps you'll
consider  expanding it to include all pieces that are printed?

Matthias - thanks for all the information.  I appreciate you taking time to
help out with my project while performing your other chore.  I have added
your information to the updated database - at least the info related to the
1x2 bricks.  For right now I'm just going to continue to concentrate on
those primarily while logging some odd-sized bricks that I think go along
with the basic themes of the "regular" ones.  I guess it's sort of an
emotional, open-to-change, ambiguous way to draw the line.  For now though
I'm going to focus on the 1x2's.

Who knows though, by the time I'm finished with that project I'll probably
be so wrapped up in duplo that I'll be ready to tackle the expanded printed
brick cataloging.  There are some pretty keen designs on the really odd
shaped bricks - especially the animals and clown ones.

I have 55 printed pieces, of which four are listed on the Lugnet page you
specified. A fifth is a possibility (Yellow brick, red telephone, but
your database says it only has blue (iirc) buttons - mine has:
GYB
YBG
BGY
GYB

G,Y & B refer to colours, in case you hadn't guessed. Is this a new
telephone?

I went ahead and listed this as a separate Telephone design in the database.

Some of the others I have:
1x2x2's Ketchup bottle and tomato (on blue)
Jar of jam (on blue)
Carton with single corn cob on printed on side (maybe it's
supposed to be a grocery bag, but it looks like a
carton) (on red)
Ketchup(?) bottle and can of olives(?) (on yellow)

I added all of these to the database.  If you could make some pictures of
these that would be great.

(snip)

2x2x1's Single Eyes - Black and white eye on yellow brick
Black and red eye on red brick
Double Eyes - Black and white eye on yellow brick
(eyes are on Black and white eye on white brick opposite sides)

I really like eyeball bricks - both dupo and system sized.  At some point I
want to use my collection of them in some kind of crazy LEGO stop motion
animation video.

(snipped info about vehicles)

Lets not foget the people:
Big giant heads (not from third rock):
Smiling face with red circular dimples (2x4x2)
Smiling face with freckles (no dimples) (2x4x2)
Faces (3 types) with eyes (that can be moved): black and white eyes on
red, yellow or green 2x4x2 bricks.

Those face bricks are pretty freaky.  I've got a couple of them.  Otherwise
I'm not really that into the duplo figures at this point.  Maybe if I
assemble all the ones I've accumulated so far and stare at them for a
while...(except for the crazy clown ones!)

(snipped more info about duplo people)

And finally, the animals:
Elephant (grey) with black and white eyes
Garaffe (yellow) with brown markings and black and white eyes
Monkey (dark brown) with brown face and black and white eyes
Horse (grey) with solid black eyes (no whites)
Pig (pinkish) with solid black eyes (no whites)

The duplo animals are something I have an interest in as expressed in
scale settings (also my plan for many of the 1x2 printed bricks).

In looking back through messages in this newsgroup, I think I remember
seeing that someone else already has a duplo animals database. I've been
meaning to go looking for that because I want to find out about the
different types of chickens that are available.

Let me know if you want pictures.

Matthias Jetleb
VA3-MWJ

Thanks again for the info and the offer to provide some pictures.

Greg