 Dear LEGO / 322
Re: Architectural Wonders theme
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Mon, 17 May 1999 18:39:16 GMT

James Brown wrote:

In lugnet.dear-lego, Kevin Wilson writes:
Steve Jaquot wrote:
I like this idea, but these might not be such hot items at TRU,
certainly not the next Star Wars.  On the other hand, they might sell
particularly well in museum shops/catalogs,  where high priced toys for
adults are the norm.

I think that's a good idea, though the volume of a set for a specific
niche (eg Monticello) might not be high enough to justify production.
What got me thinking was that those Puzz-3D things are genuinely
mass-market. _Someone_ is interested in Famous Buildings of the World.
And a Lego version would be a lot longer-lasting and versatile than the
Puzz-3D one.

Not that I don't think this is a good idea - I do - but 3-D puzzles have a
distinct advantage over Lego in the "famous building" catagory - size &
detail.  A puzzle can print it's detailing, and be more-or-less whatever size
markets best.  A lego building needs to be a certain size to get any kind of
decent detailing (maybe not quite miniland scale, but I'm not sure minifig
would cut it), which makes most of the popular buildings horribly unfeasable.
"Oh look!  They have a Lego Tower of London in the gift shop!  Only $1499.99,
too!"

I'd still buy one, though. Maybe even two, if it had a good parts selection.
;-)

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/

Alright, I'm gonna have to partly disagree with you on this one.

I guess if you were copying a famous building exactly, you could run into
problems getting the proportions and detailing correct.  And in that sense, a
scale larger than minifig may be needed.  But I disagree with "A LEGO building
needs to be a certain size to get any decent detailing", and here's why....

I don't build in the minifig LEGO scale (1 door = 5 bricks high). I only build in
the classic LEGO scale (1 door = 3 bricks high).  And I have to say that I build
a lot of detail into my structures. Check out my Website:
http://my.voyager.net/lar/gistok.html

If I can do OK with a 3 brick scale, then all you "5 brick'ers" should have it
easier.  Of course having the correct pieces helps (and that's another problem
....).

Gary Istok