 Dear LEGO / 309
Re: Architectural Wonders theme
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 12 May 1999 05:52:07 GMT

Lorbaat wrote:
In lugnet.dear-lego, Kevin Wilson writes:
[proposed theme: famous buildings, historical/international
architecture]

Anyway.  I think it would sell incredibly well, both in those cities and to
people who *wish* they were in those cities.  And it doesn't have ot be an
"adult" theme- kids could learn all about other cultures!

I like this idea, but these might not be such hot items at TRU,
certainly
not the next Star Wars.  On the other hand, they might sell particularly
well
in museum shops/catalogs,  where high priced toys for adults are the
norm.
Perhaps some creative marketing guy at TLG should explore this sort of
niche
market.

Famous buildings:
I would expect a model of Monticello (U.S. President Thomas Jefferson's
house), for example, to sell particularly well at the Monticello gift
shop. It could also be expected to do well at most U.S. history museums
(e.g. the Smithsonian), but probably not outside the U.S.  Would this
volume be sufficient to support TLG's R&D and production?   Dunno, but
it seems to work for the relatively low volume air/cruise line sets.

Architectural elements:
This, marketed properly, could be a cash cow.  A basic set (e.g.
Greco-Roman:
assorted white arches, columns, slopes; medieval: same thing in grey)
could be
priced low enough to suck in the casual buyer, who would then be
motivated to
buy countless expansion sets to finish his scale model Parthenon (or
whatever).
This is, of course, not a new idea.  It may be that TLG has resisted it
because
they see it as a threat to their core market, i.e. kids who might stock
up on
these sets, in preference to Town Jr. (or whatever else TLG was
pushing).
What might be new is the niche marketing angle:  if these sets are
available
only in specialty stores/catalogs, it opens up a new market without
appreciably
diminishing the core market.  And practically no R&D.  What's not to
like?

--
Steve Jacquot
sj5w@virginia.edu