 Dear LEGO / 2928
Re: LEGOs dirty trick: making money by not producing all masks as announced.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.technic.bionicle
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 18:05:04 GMT

"Lorbaat" <eric@nospam.thirteen.net> wrote:

In lugnet.dear-lego, Rose Regner writes:

I just educate my son on not "collecting" stuff that is just a marketing
ploy to get you to buy a bunch of sets for some non-existent set. This is
nothing new in the world of marketing toys.

I used to collect Magic cards (and play the game).

I can assure you that you *can* collect a full set of these cards.  It just
requires patience, and a lot of money and/or hard trading.

There's nothing uneducated about it.  If you enjoy it, you enjoy it.  If you
don't, you don't.

...Related to Magic though was the big disaster they had with Antiquities (at
least I think it was Antiquities), where the distribution of cards was not
random. Apparently someone at the card plant screwed up and the sorting didn't
work out the way it was supposed to.

...This kind of sorting/randomizing is a big part of any "collectible" product
like the Bionicle masks... so perhaps we are just seeing an example of it
(specially since LEGO does not have much history in the random/collectible
aspect of distribution)...

...The other thought is that they may be solving the "random" aspect of it by
rolling out parts of the line at different times (which IIRC Decipher did with
one of their CCG lines... its a bad way to "randomize" the selection, but it
does work). So maybe we just haven't seen the distribution of the other colours
yet?
---
wubwub
wubwub@wildlink.com