 Dear LEGO / 2149
2148  |  2150
Subject:
neither sponsored nor endorsed by the LEGO Company? (was : Re: an update -- and an apology)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2000 08:37:38 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

"Todd Lehman" <lehman@javanet.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.dear-lego, Brad Justus writes:
[...]
We intend also to provide support, either financial or otherwise, to as
many of the LEGO communities and clubs out there (both online and off)
as we can. I've even spoken to Todd Lehman regarding how we can provide
support for LUGNET (without, of course, in any way comprising its
independence.  [...]

Just to clarify, for those curious...

If Brad is talking about what I'm thinking of, then in a phone • conversation
in December, I simply made Brad aware of LUGNET's donations webpage,

   http://www.lugnet.com/admin/finance/donations/

which I thought would be a very nice way (from my point of view) for TLC • to
show support for LUGNET.  I also mentioned that anonymous donations were
accepted, meaning that if TLC ever wanted to contribute financially but • not
have this known publicly, it would be held in confidence.

Todd
I think, as you run LUGNET, you are free to take money from more or less
however you wish - and do with it as you see fit (as long as you stay inside
the law etc). However, I do have a couple of very quick questions on this
issue:

1. If you will/have accept money either directly or indirectly, or openly or
anonymously, from TLC/TLG do you think it would be misleading if the welcome
on the homepage (quoted below) did not change? (ie : Would you change it?)

"Welcome to the international fan-created LEGO® Users Group Network! This is
a place for LEGO®
fans of all ages to find information, meet one another, and share ideas. As
an independent site by fans,
for fans, it is neither sponsored nor endorsed by the LEGO Company."

I think it could be very slightly misleading right now, as by posting here
it could be argued that TLC/TLG are endorsing LUGNet?

2. If TLC/TLG did want to give an anonymous donation, what would their
motives possibly be for doing this? If it is to allow me, and others like
me, to think that LUGNet was independent of them - do you not think that is
a little disingenuous ?

Scott A