 Administrative / General / 6506
Re: neither sponsored nor endorsed by the LEGO Company? (was : Re: an update -- and an apology)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2000 20:37:32 GMT

That's absolutely correct, Eric.

In addition, the amount of the donation ($5,000 USD) is so tiny that it could
not even remotely be thought of as sponsorship or financial support unless
LEGO sends these sorts of things often and regularly, which I certainly
wouldn't count on without some sort of binding agreement.

--Todd

Todd is right IMO.  "Sponsorship" in the disclaimer means
a formal contractual relationship, and usually accompanies significant
financial support.  Since that is not the case here, the traditional
disclaimer is appropriate (and in fact still required).  That said,
I think the acknowledgement letter was written as if you wish you
haddn't received the gift.  If their cover letter made it clear
that it was a gift with no strings attached, then a simple "thank you"
letter would have been more appropriate IMHO.  Lawyers are only helpful when
you really need them.

KL