 Administrative / General / 6500
Re: neither sponsored nor endorsed by the LEGO Company? (was : Re: an update -- and an apology)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2000 19:16:45 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Eric Kingsley writes:
In lugnet.admin.general, Scott Arthur writes:
I think you may need to update the Homepage - either by removing the
misleading text, or by clarifying the matter. I think the latter would me
more appropriate.

Scott,

Why do you think this necessary?  From what I read of Todd's letter to Brad
it seems to me the gift was accepted graciously but with the knowledge that
it did not constitute sponsorship or any control over LUGNET itself.

That's absolutely correct, Eric.

In addition, the amount of the donation ($5,000 USD) is so tiny that it could
not even remotely be thought of as sponsorship or financial support unless
LEGO sends these sorts of things often and regularly, which I certainly
wouldn't count on without some sort of binding agreement.

--Todd

If thats the case then I am OK with it and I think the disclaimer on the
Homepage is still OK.

If however LEGO were to make any donations with the understanding that Todd
run LUGNET in any certain way then I would have a problem but at least in my
view that has not happened yet.