 Administrative / General / 6507
Re: neither sponsored nor endorsed by the LEGO Company? (was : Re: an update -- and an apology)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2000 21:16:42 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Kevin Loch writes:
[...]
I think the acknowledgement letter was written as if you wish you
haddn't received the gift.

On the contrary, we're very pleased to have received it!  In fact, we thanked
Brad on the phone a few days earlier when he mentioned it prior to sending it.

If their cover letter made it clear that it was a gift with no strings
attached,

That part wasn't 100% clear.  Here is an excerpt of the letter (I hope Brad
doesn't mind) and you can judge for yourself whether it was 100% clear.

   Of course, this donation is made with "no strings attached" whatsoever,
   and the future direction of LUGNET is entirely in your hands and the hands
   of the community that you have so carefully tended.  We at LEGO ask only
   that we may participate in LUGNET in a manner best suited to your needs
   and that of your community of AFOLs.

then a simple "thank you" letter would have been more appropriate IMHO.

I would certainly agree if that were the case, but I don't think a simple
"thank you" would have been appropriate or sufficient in this case to clear
up the ambiguities.  (Not that there's anything wrong with ambiguities, it's
just a good idea to clear them up.)  For example, one other thing not 100%
clear from the cover letter is who, if anyone, pays taxes on the gift.  (I
believe the State of Connecticut is the only state in the union which has not
yet fully repealed its state gift tax (something like from 1% to 6% on gifts
above a certain level per year to a single individual).)  Thus, if the
donation is acknowledged by LEGO as a gratuitious gift (as is evidently the
case), then LEGO as the donor of the gift is responsible for any applicable
federal or state gift tax.

Lawyers are only helpful when you really need them.

Definitely agree -- of course sometimes you never know when you need them.
BTW, the acknowledgement letter wasn't written by lawyers.

--Todd