 Administrative / General / 6513
Re: neither sponsored nor endorsed by the LEGO Company? (was : Re: an update -- and an apology)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2000 22:06:56 GMT

In other words, we really need to have some sort of formal statement from
LEGO attorneys before we dare change any of the legal disclaimers on the
homepage.  However, I think we could safely add a modifier after it which
points to more information, including details of the donation.

OK, first step -- Brad's donation is now listed here:

   http://www.lugnet.com/admin/finance/donations/?p=donors

and no other financial contributions or donations from LEGO have been
received or (to our knowledge) sent.

OK, second step -- the notice on the homepage has been changed from:

   Welcome to the international fan-created LEGO® Users Group Network!
   This is a place for LEGO® fans of all ages to find information, meet
   one another, and share ideas.  As an independent site by fans, for fans,
   it is neither sponsored nor endorsed by the LEGO Company.

to:

   Welcome to the international fan-created LEGO® Users Group Network!
   This is a place for LEGO® fans of all ages to find information, meet
   one another, and share ideas.  As an independent site by fans, for fans,
   it is neither sponsored nor endorsed by the LEGO Company.  (Note: LEGO
   has recently made a "no strings attached" financial donation not believed
   to constitute sponsorship or endorsement in the legal sense.  See the
   admin > financial > donations page for details.)

(The text that can go in that block is plaintext and I can't add hyperlinks
there without going in and mucking with the code that dumps out charters, so
that's why the funny > > > click-path is given in place of a hyperlink for
now.)

It's ugly and wordy and icky on a homepage, but this hopefully is enough info
for people to make their own decisions as well as continuing to act as a legal
disclaimer and preventing the possibility being accidentally misleading if
someone makes assumptions about what sponsorship or endorsement means.

--Todd