 Dear LEGO / 145
Re: New Service Packs for 1999..
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sat, 23 Jan 1999 13:58:09 GMT

Jeff Stembel wrote:

It's not like it matters much.  They only seem to look for the phrase "I would
like to suggest..." and then they send you a form letter.

Which, to this consumer anyway, is much less effective than an
individually written letter would be.

:-)

I was at the LIC at MoA in MPLS last nite (met with John Neal, that was
fun... more in the mpls group later this AM)

Before we met I was talking to the person there who seemed like the
boss. Danish. He would not give me his name and disdained any interest
whatever in the internet. I started out the conversation innocently
enough, voicing some feedback and he gave me a printed card.

That card had Susan Williams's address on it, of course. I said thanks,
I already had it and had already written "her" and was starting a
collection of different signatures to see how many different people I
could identify that signed her name. That may have not been the best way
to get off on the right foot with this chap, but it was amusing to me,
anyway.

He did smile a bit though and responded with "well, you know, every time
you write a letter, you'll get a free gift back".

AFAIK that is not true, unless you count that "lego as you've never seen
it" catalog they send out as a gift, or unless there has been a recent
policy change.

But it's certainly worth a try.

I totally agree that even if you get a form letter BACK, you need to NOT
SEND a form letter.
The LP periodically issues calls to action about various topics and
supplies a list of talk points (for use in letters to the editor,
letters to politicians, or in phone calls to politicians) but strongly
emphasises that you need to ensure that you deliver the message in your
own words. Even a phone script will be recognised about the 3rd time
it's received.

Form letters and form scripts are at best 5% as effective as your own
words. Why? Because of the level of effort involved. Effort gets
noticed. If it was easy to do for you, it must not have been that
important, according to the calculus used.

More on my conversation with this chappy in another post.

++Lar