 Database / Set Inventories / 694
Re: A (somewhat unhelpful) Suggestion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.db.inv
Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2001 00:15:56 GMT

In lugnet.db.brictionary, Dan Boger writes:
Heather Patey <hpatey@nfld.com> wrote:
Thomas, you're right on.  I can see eventually photos of _every_ part being • at
Peeron, but of course where an image exists at Partsref, that one's used
instead, since mostly they're straightforward except for printed parts.
Printed panels, for example, are backwards, for heaven's sakes.  Can't blame
Steve for not rendering them by hand though, especially in all the colours.
Therefore we need a compromise: how about a pictorial reference to printed
pieces which have Partsref images, but rendered properly so you can see the
printing?  Maybe just click on the piece and you'd go to Peeron (if the • piece
was in inventories there) or the original Partsref page.  I'll start with
heads and torsos and see how that goes.  Watch for the URL of the prototype • in
hopefully a short while.

while partsref pictures are often too small to be able to see the printing
clearly, the huge advantage is that since you get the DAT file, you can
"pick it up in your hand" turn it around, zoom in, and pick whatever color
you want it in.  A picture is much more limited, and getting high quality
pictures isn't too easy - a simple snapshot is usually useless.

The advantage of DATs is lost on those without the inclination or ability to
set up the LCAD programs - not too easy for someone just starting out now.
Here's what I had in mind for a printed-LCAD-parts reference:

http://www3.nf.sympatico.ca/bhpatey/lego/printedparts.htm

as for the panels, or other "bad" orientation of DATs, we often will take
the DAT and manually regenerate the gif facing the right way...  but it
hasn't been much of a problem yet.

The above ought to take care of it when expanded to more types of pieces.
Still to do are bricks, panels, tiles... what else?  If better quality is
needed, I or someone else could do something with POVRAY, although that's
something I've not done much with.

For the pictures we take for peeron some are better than others - we've
learned a lot on how to take useful pictures...  You have to have a very
very brlightly lit area, so your using the whole range of your camera's
sensitivity.  You try to take the picture zoomed in as much as possible,
making sure your don't lose your focus - Macro function is the greatest
thing ever :)  then we crop, auto or manually level the picture...
and show it to Jenn, who more often than not tells me to retake it :)

Personally, I'd rather see more inventories than pictures right now - the
pictures we have are "good enough", while the inventories are lacking... :)

But growing all the time.  If we could get the raw data from Tim Vattima's
inventories and add LDRAW numbers to them, we'd be booming for sure.  This is
probably a good time to throw into the ring another tool I've made up to verify
inventories using Excel - a way to make an HTML document with a picture of each
piece in an inventory, in the correct colour.

http://www3.nf.sympatico.ca/bhpatey/lego/visinv.htm

Lastly (what? post things separately? never!) what is the most efficient way of
sending Peeron corrections, either renaming/renumbering a piece throughout or
adding/deleting to one inventory?

Whoof!  Must hit post before writing more.

Cheers, Heather
--
Heather Patey
St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada