 Database / Brictionary / 141
140  |  142
Subject:
A (somewhat unhelpful) Suggestion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.db.brictionary
Date:
Sat, 7 Apr 2001 20:32:50 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I have a suggestion.  The main problem with it (at least that I see) is that it
involves quite a bit of work which I have neither the tools, talent, or time to
contribute.

Recently I have come up with what I think is a Pretty Neat Idea.  Motivating
this are Brendan Smith's album cover,
my efforts at inventorying a few sets, and the Peeron custom pictures,
http://www.peeron.com/inv/pics

As I understand it, current efforts toward the taxonomy of Lego elements are
centered around Partsref, which uses CAD images of each part.  For _parts_, as
geometrically considered products of molds, this is a good and worthy effort.
However, rendering each image seems to take substantial time and effort[1].
Problem is, TLC produces lots of geometrically equivalent _parts_ with
different printings--and often a printing will only be used for one or two
sets.  As I see it (from an inventorist's point of view) effort would be much
better spent snapping a photo of a printed part than modeling it on a computer
because

1)  It's easier and faster than computer modeling, allowing more pictures
produced per unit time and permitting non-CAD people to contribute.[2]

2)  There may be little demand for a particular printing of a part for other
CAD activities.[3]

3)  Photos are easier to see patterns on than DATs.  Does anyone really get
anything out of
http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/search.cgi?q=3626bp05
?  (For example, did you know without reading the description that that wasn't
a basic smiley?)  Compare the visible detail in
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/3626bpx34

My suggestion is that someone (I'm not volunteering, or trying to volunteer
anyone else) set up a database, in parallel to (but not replacing) Partsref,
that is specifically designed for patterned elements.  This database would use
high-quality photos, like those at Peeron, to show each distinct printed elment
TLC has produced.

This database could become fairly complete very quickly--calls for submissions
to, progressively, .db.bricktionary and .general would (based on example of the
Lugnet Set Database) bring a wealth of pictures.  If the database's pictures
were available for general use (like Partsref) parts sellers would have an
interest in building it as well.  Patterned elements aren't hard to find in
most collections, so it would be easy for any Lugnetter to check the parts
already entered, say "They don't have XXX yet!" and snap and send a picture.
The big work would be for the maintainer--deciding on internal numbers (which
would inevitably end up in set inventories), pattern names, and adequate search
keys.

The payoff:  imagine doing a set inventory, looking at a piece, and being able
to do a simple search that would come up with a unique identifier for that
pattern.  Imagine looking at an inventory where you know what each piece looks
like, even if it's a minifig torso with printing that was only used for the one
set.  Imagine deciding you want a geriatric collection of minifigs for some
purpose, doing a search, and seeing a screen, not unlike Brendan Smith's album
cover, full of all the gray-haired or somehow elderly minifigs TLC has ever
produced.

Thoughts?  Volunteers? ;)

TWS Garrison

[1] I think; I don't actually know anything about the process, or read the CAD
groups, being neither a competant computer user or an artist.

[2] I sometimes think that I'm the only person who reads Lugnet who *doesn't*
have a digital camera. . .

[3] Are there really lots people out there who want to build a virtual MOC
using the Incan printing on a 1x2x5 Brick from the Adventurers sets?