 Database / Brictionary / 142
Re: A (somewhat unhelpful) Suggestion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.db.brictionary, lugnet.db.inv
Date:
Sun, 8 Apr 2001 02:14:46 GMT

In lugnet.db.brictionary, Thomas Garrison writes:
I have a suggestion.  The main problem with it (at least that I see) is that • it
involves quite a bit of work which I have neither the tools, talent, or time • to
contribute.

Recently I have come up with what I think is a Pretty Neat Idea.  Motivating
this are Brendan Smith's album cover,
my efforts at inventorying a few sets, and the Peeron custom pictures,
http://www.peeron.com/inv/pics

As I understand it, current efforts toward the taxonomy of Lego elements are
centered around Partsref, which uses CAD images of each part.  For _parts_,
as geometrically considered products of molds, this is a good and worthy
effort. However, rendering each image seems to take substantial time and
effort[1].
Problem is, TLC produces lots of geometrically equivalent _parts_ with
different printings--and often a printing will only be used for one or two
sets.  As I see it (from an inventorist's point of view) effort would be much
better spent snapping a photo of a printed part than modeling it on a
computer because

1)  It's easier and faster than computer modeling, allowing more pictures
produced per unit time and permitting non-CAD people to contribute.[2]

2)  There may be little demand for a particular printing of a part for other
CAD activities.[3]

3)  Photos are easier to see patterns on than DATs.  Does anyone really get
anything out of
http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/search.cgi?q=3626bp05
?  (For example, did you know without reading the description that that
wasn't a basic smiley?)  Compare the visible detail in
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/3626bpx34

My suggestion is that someone (I'm not volunteering, or trying to volunteer
anyone else) set up a database, in parallel to (but not replacing) Partsref,
that is specifically designed for patterned elements.

<large ungainly snip>

Thomas, you're right on.  I can see eventually photos of _every_ part being at
Peeron, but of course where an image exists at Partsref, that one's used
instead, since mostly they're straightforward except for printed parts.
Printed panels, for example, are backwards, for heaven's sakes.  Can't blame
Steve for not rendering them by hand though, especially in all the colours.
Therefore we need a compromise: how about a pictorial reference to printed
pieces which have Partsref images, but rendered properly so you can see the
printing?  Maybe just click on the piece and you'd go to Peeron (if the piece
was in inventories there) or the original Partsref page.  I'll start with
heads and torsos and see how that goes.  Watch for the URL of the prototype in
hopefully a short while.

Cheers, Heather
--
Heather Patey