 Database / Set Inventories / 356
Re: Standardized Inventory File Format?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.db.inv
Date:
Mon, 22 May 2000 00:20:32 GMT

In lugnet.db.inv, Robert Munafo writes:

Just kidding! Every major OS can run Perl, and this 7-line
Perl script will do the processing for you

So will:

   sed "s/   +/,/g" <spaces.txt >comma.txt

Which will run on any machine (even an 8088 laptop) that
has a DOS- or *nix-style command line.  And sed is small
enough that most people who might balk at Perl wouldn't
mind installing it,  even as a single-purpose tool.

But that's not why I called  ;-)

The thread seems to have died out without reaching more than a
a very vague consensus about optimal inventory formats.  Since
I have several in various stages of readiness to upload,  and
have Perl and other tools available to bend them to whatever
format works bestest for the mostest,  I'd like to re-open
this can of worms,  and see if the group can get a little more
specific.

One big concern is what to do about parts that have no "official"
number.  e.g.,  I just bought some of the newer 823x sets,  and
they have some quarter-round and quarter-oval parts that don't
appear in partsref at all,  and have no number on technica.  And
there are some Star Wars minifigs with torso patterns that haven't
be cataloged (afaik).  I've been entering them as "??" or "973p??",
but that kinda sucks,  so I'd like to do something more usable,
and avoid inventing yet another personal numbering system.

Ran