 Database / Set Inventories / 186
Re: Standardized Inventory File Format?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.db.inv
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 22:13:24 GMT

In lugnet.db.inv, Steve Bliss writes:
On Thu, 23 Sep 1999 16:11:53 GMT, "Robert Munafo"
<munafo@gcctechNO.SPAMcom> wrote:

Just kidding! Every major OS can run Perl, and this 7-line Perl script
will do the processing for you:

But not every major user wants to run Perl.

Are you speaking for yourself? If so, explain why you'd rather use some other
programming language system in place of Perl.

Remember, we're trying to design a standard that will work for lots of people
who aren't here to represent themselves. That means we have to make decisions
for them and try to exclude as few people as possible.

That means we can't rely on commercial tools (too expensive). Perl is cheap and
has few legal restrictions.

- Robert Munafo                           http://www.mrob.com/
  LEGO: TC+++(8480) SW++ #+ S-- LS++ Hsp M+ A@ LM++ YB64m IC13