 Database / Set Inventories / 185
Re: Standardized Inventory File Format?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.db.inv
Date:
Sat, 25 Sep 1999 15:05:05 GMT

Op een zekere dag, te weten Thu, 23 Sep 1999 13:54:23 GMT, klom
blisses@worldnet.att.net (Steve Bliss) in het toetsenbord en schreef ons:

On Wed, 22 Sep 1999 21:16:23 GMT, "Robert Munafo"
<munafo@gcctechNO.SPAMcom> wrote:

In lugnet.db.inv, Gary Williams writes:
[...]
Obviously we'd need to agree on a delimiter between fields.  Spaces can be
used, but if the color is specified by name, then it couldn't have spaces in
it (e.g. dark gray).

I solve that problem by using *3 or more spaces* as the delimiter. If you want
to delimit the next field, you must always use at least 3 spaces in a row. This
allows things like color names to include spaces and allows for a little human
error as well.

Are there many programs that support multi-character delimiters in their
import function?  I'm fairly certain Excel and MS-Access do not.  The point
of making a standard format is to make the data more accessible to
everyone.  Not just coders.

Excel (97) at least can import multi-char delimeters. In the import-window,
you can choose the delimeter (when you don't use the 'every n chars'
function), and there is a checkmark to choose if repeated delimeters should
be recognized as 1.
I don't know about access though. I always use the 'open File$ for input as
#1' method.....  8-)

Ardjan

-----
Ardjan's YALP (Yet Another Lego Page) at
http://unet.univie.ac.at/~a8705125/ardjan