 Database / Set Inventories / 181
Re: Standardized Inventory File Format?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.db.inv
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 16:17:34 GMT

In lugnet.db.inv, Steve Bliss writes:
Are there many programs that support multi-character delimiters in their
import function?  I'm fairly certain Excel and MS-Access do not.  The point
of making a standard format is to make the data more accessible to
everyone.  Not just coders.

It doesn't do much good if the use of commas makes it so the columns don't line
up. You want these inventory files to be easy to read by humans, and that means
the columns need to line up!

If we use commas as delimeters, we also need to add spaces as necessary to
ensure that the columns (almost always) line up (if a color name is really
long, exceptions can be made on a line-by-line basis)

- Robert Munafo                           http://www.mrob.com/
  LEGO: TC+++(8480) SW++ #+ S-- LS++ Hsp M+ A@ LM++ YB64m IC13