 Database / Set Inventories / 179
Re: Standardized Inventory File Format?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.db.inv
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 16:06:07 GMT

In lugnet.db.inv, John Cromer writes:
Let's do it.  3 spaces between fields:

count   DATfilename   Color   Optional description

Now, not being a CAD nut, where would I find the DATfilenames?  And
what do we put for parts without DATfilenames?

My parts database format is human-readable and well-suited to use by programs
as well as humans, and solves your problem quite well. My inventory scripts use
it. Look at:

  http://www.lugnet.com/db/inv/?n=136

Here are some sample entries:

ld2412, mr0055
Name: 1 x 2 tile with grille

ld3648, mr0001
Name: 24t gear
Name: z24 gear

mr0038, ld2855+ld2856
Official-Name: Large Turntable  [[pitsco3]]

the important things to notice are:

  - every part can have more than one part number
  - every part can have more than one name
  - a prefix like "ld" for lDraw is added to make the part numbers unambiguous.

- Robert Munafo                           http://www.mrob.com/
  LEGO: TC+++(8480) SW++ #+ S-- LS++ Hsp M+ A@ LM++ YB64m IC13