 Database / Set Inventories / 176
Re: Standardized Inventory File Format?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.db.inv
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 13:54:23 GMT

On Wed, 22 Sep 1999 21:16:23 GMT, "Robert Munafo"
<munafo@gcctechNO.SPAMcom> wrote:

In lugnet.db.inv, Gary Williams writes:
[...]
Obviously we'd need to agree on a delimiter between fields.  Spaces can be
used, but if the color is specified by name, then it couldn't have spaces in
it (e.g. dark gray).

I solve that problem by using *3 or more spaces* as the delimiter. If you want
to delimit the next field, you must always use at least 3 spaces in a row. This
allows things like color names to include spaces and allows for a little human
error as well.

Are there many programs that support multi-character delimiters in their
import function?  I'm fairly certain Excel and MS-Access do not.  The point
of making a standard format is to make the data more accessible to
everyone.  Not just coders.

I suppose non-programmers could load the data file into a text editor
first, and search'n'replace all the tri-spaces with a comma.

Steve
Seems like we've gone around on this point before, but maybe not.