 Color / 603
  Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's

(...) I am, and it is a correct assumption. You in the minority will just have to deal with it. (20 years ago, 23-Nov-04, to lugnet.color)

  Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's

(...) I THINK you're right about the proportions, Rich, I really do, but you speak as if you KNOW you are. I think it's dangerous to assert one is in the majority on a question if one doesn't have metrics to back it up. So... What do you base that (...) (20 years ago, 23-Nov-04, to lugnet.color)

  Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's

(...) Where are you getting your information from? Every survay I've seen at best comes up with keep both colors but never have I see a survay that says bley is perfered by a "majority". If you want to start an argument you should have some facts by (...) (20 years ago, 23-Nov-04, to lugnet.color)

  Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's

(...) Dear Rich, you cried for this, so let me answer: - Ignition started - counterstatement launched - get a deep breath Blay sucks and will suck forever. I think this is a fact for the majority of AFOLs I know. Ben P.s.: I appreciate the existence (...) (20 years ago, 23-Nov-04, to lugnet.color) !!

  Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's

(...) Well, there will always be AFOLs who will forever vocally belittle, despise, and challenge the color change. And you'll just have to deal with it. My guess is that the majority still *very* much hates the color change (that's certainly the (...) (20 years ago, 23-Nov-04, to lugnet.color)

  Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's

(...) Oops, note: Gray - 1961? -> 2003 (CA/ABS switch in 1963) Brown - 1974? -> 2003 (ABS in 1977?, 1974 in different, flexible plastic) Dk Gray - 1977? -> 2003 So, at least 41 years for Gray ABS, and 27 years of Brown and Dark Gray (31 years for (...) (20 years ago, 23-Nov-04, to lugnet.color)

  Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's

(...) Not really. I'll just continue to ignore LUGNET as I've been doing for a while now. Rich Admin -- BZPower.com (20 years ago, 23-Nov-04, to lugnet.color)

  Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's

(...) Dave, Gray actually goes back to the 1950's. I have a 10x20 thick baseplate in gray without "Lego" on the studs (pre 1957). The 10x20 baseplates first came out in 1953, but I cannot confirm that they started in gray that year. The next (...) (20 years ago, 24-Nov-04, to lugnet.color)

  Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's

(...) Heh, I guess that's one way to deal with it :) DaveE (20 years ago, 24-Nov-04, to lugnet.color)

  Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's

(...) Huh! Earliest I found on peeron was 1961, but that's pretty cool that it was out even before... (...) I know grey *bricks* were certainly rare trinkets until about 1984 when the castle line started using them. Before then I seem to remember (...) (20 years ago, 24-Nov-04, to lugnet.color)

  Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's

(...) Dave, Those spare parts packs (#214-#271) have a long and complicated history. They first came out in 1955 (for non-brick items such as road signs, Esso pumps/signs, trees/bushes) and 1957 (for bricks -- prior to that bricks were only sold (...) (20 years ago, 24-Nov-04, to lugnet.color)

  Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's

(...) No, it is a false assumption. Just because you belive it doesn't make it a majority. Minority or not we don't have to sit here and take it. We could sit here and list hundreds of things saved by fan loyalty. Star Trek and Original Coke just to (...) (20 years ago, 24-Nov-04, to lugnet.color)

  Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's

(...) Duh! I forgot there was an easy way to tell the years for black vs. gray. Here is a 1961 Austrian Catalog that shows bricks in red, white, blue, yellow and clear, but no black. It also shows the 10x20 baseplate comes in gray (yes that is gray, (...) (20 years ago, 24-Nov-04, to lugnet.color)

  Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's

(...) #@%@##, wrong side of 1961 Austrian Catalog, try here: (URL) Istok P.S. The above swear symbols are not to be confused with a geek code :-) (20 years ago, 24-Nov-04, to lugnet.color)

  Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's

Switching gears completely Gary, what's the status on you CD? Lester (20 years ago, 24-Nov-04, to lugnet.color)

  Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's

(...) Gary, perhaps you could identify something for me? I have a number of gray 10x10 thick baseplates that appear to be the tops of boxes. I rescued them from a friend who was disposing of his Lego collection (!), but the boxes were already lost.. (...) (20 years ago, 24-Nov-04, to lugnet.color)

  Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's

(...) Lester, You can blame Eric Strand for it not being ready yet! :-) Seriously, Eric (who is helping me) has found a whole new line of Lego items, namely USA/Canada Samsonite department store catalog sets. These were sold in Sears, Penney's and (...) (20 years ago, 24-Nov-04, to lugnet.color)

  Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's

(...) Dave, Jan K. of Germany went on a tour of the vault in Billund. Here is her Brickshelf set of pictures from that visit. Check out the 2nd and 3rd picture (1825 and 1826). This is a 1953-56 Lego set, probably a #700/2 or #700/3. Note on the (...) (20 years ago, 24-Nov-04, to lugnet.color)

  Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's

(...) Hello Brian, I answered the question on the black parts in a different post in this color thread, 1962 is correct as the begin date for black. Those 10x10 thick baseplates you have are a USA/Canada Samsonite item. They were never released in (...) (20 years ago, 24-Nov-04, to lugnet.color)