 Color / 608
Re: Appreciating what TLG and Lego Direct have done for AFOL's
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 2004 18:22:44 GMT

In lugnet.color, Rich Manzo wrote:
In lugnet.lego, Eric Brok wrote:
In lugnet.lego, Rich Manzo wrote:
Thanks for speaking up for the silent majority.

You're making assumptions about what the majority feels about this issue.

I am, and it is a correct assumption. You in the minority will just have to
deal with it.

Well, there will always be AFOLs who will forever vocally belittle, despise, and
challenge the color change. And you'll just have to deal with it.

My guess is that the majority still *very* much hates the color change (that's
certainly the majority feeling in my club), but most have given up complaining
vehemently. It was a poor decision on Lego's part, and poorly communicated to
the adult fanbase. But apparently there's nothing more we can do. Complaining
won't help. So we accept it and move on, being forever annoyed and recalling
stories of  how angry everyone was when the change happened.

And whenever the opportunity arises to bring up the pesky annoyance, I'm sure
the topic will rise again. I know I sort pieces by new/old light grey very
carefully, and I'll do that ever onward now, especially when buying used or
opened sets or pieces. It's an annoyance we could have done without, and we'll
be constantly reminded of it. Not like a bad theme decision like Galidor or
ZNAP, which we AFOLs can just skip over and forget about a few years down the
line. The color change destroyed the continuity of colors that were each decades
old[1]. Anyone who sorts their bricks and cares about colors is permanantly
burdened, so it's a constant reminder. The color change is here to stay, and so
are the complaints. You'll just have to deal with it.

But I think the majority isn't so put off as to never buy new Lego again, or to
never buy a set with the new colors. I think the majority accepts the fact that
the color change happened, and is done debating it repeatedly. Instead, it's the
debate itself that's in question now. Your complaints about the complainers, and
likewise things like my complaints in return are now what pollute the
newsgroups.

If you're worried about what Lego thinks of our enthusiasm, don't. Their concern
is money and the company image. Money, we've proven we can't help much with. And
company image? If we're *this* mad about something like the color change,
imagine how mad we'd be in the face of some other change! They'd lose money AND
image if they did something like this again. They're not listening to us just to
make us happy. They're listening to us to become a better company.

It's true, I think the majority of AFOLs are ready to move on and focus on the
good points of Lego. The Legend sets, LegoFactory.com, AFOL interaction, new
non-juniorized sets like the Santa Fe, BNSF and ISD, and everything else we have
yet to see. But lurking in the background somewhere will always be the sore
scars left by the color change. I just hope it's enough of a reminder that we
won't have to go through such a painful change again.

DaveE