Re: Cave of Exile: Dark Secrets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 12:50:45 GMT

In lugnet.castle.org.cw, Wilson Raska writes:
In lugnet.castle.org.cw, Jeff Stembel writes:
Very cool!  Great job on the cave walls, but I think the pictures should have
been a little darker.  :)

I was thinking about darkening them more, but decided to go for "more
detail" which the darkening would have decreased.  I might go back and redo
some or all the photos when I have time.

True, but it *is* a cave.  :)  I just thought it was a tad bright in there.  :)

I like the new elemental designs.  I guess they did
a little leveling between stories, eh?  ;)

Glad you like them!  I may go back to Quest for the Crystals and re-shoot
some of the shots to make the stories run together better.

If you do reshoot the old stories, I'd suggest using the old forms for the
elementals.  That way, it shows that they got more powerful between stories.
:)

Also, I'm going to have to agree with the others in that the giant spell
names were a tad distracting...  The spell effects were great, though.  :)

Yeah, I guess I wanted it to look like FF (yet again :-) where it shows the
spell name on the screen,

True, but Final Fantasy puts the spell name in a little textbox at the top of
the screen.  ;)

I wish I had the equipment and software to really do some stories...  Alas, I
do not...  :\  I do have access to my mother's school's Mavica (no macro,
though), so once I finish sorting all of last year's aquisitions (yes, I did
virtually *no* sorting last year), I'll do some preliminary work.  :)  I do
have some space and mecha related ideas I want to work on first, though...

I would *really* like to see some of your figs in stories, most of them are
really well designed.  And hearing that you have made airships in the past
makes me want to see them even more! :-)

Thanks!!  I really hope the camera will work well enough for me to start work
on a story.  :)

It's been about ten years since I made those airships...  I made them for a
Lego-Final Fantasy "game" (not really a game, since there weren't any rules or
anything, and I didn't play it with anyone) I made.  Had a bunch of monsters 'n
stuff, and just had loads of fun (Forestmen made cool imps. ^_^).  I even made
a replica of FFIV's Hovercraft.  :)

How did you do Merciator's staff?  Tape?  Also, how did you get Cassandra to
hold the minifig hands?

For both of those shots I just used ordinary wax.  I put a little ball on
the end of the sabre staff and just stuck the jewel on the end.  I did the
same with Cassandra holding the gauntlets.  It held for about a week without
the objects coming apart.

Oh, I never thought of that...  I may have to try that at some point.  :)

Neat idea!  I may have to do something similar if I ever incorporate a cavern
into one of my stories.  :)

Glad you like it!  Yeah, during "filming", I was relocating the wall to
another part of the room when I tipped it too far on its side, causeing it
to break in half horizontally and shatter on the ground.  To put it lightly:
I was a *little* upset! ;-)  Most of it was salvagable though, and I only
had to patch up some holes.  It also bent a couple of friction pins on impact.

Ouch!!  I hate when something like that happens!  :(

Thanks for the comments and "constructive criticism" Jeff!

I'm here to help!  :)

Jeff

P.S.  Some news for the Final Fantasy fans:  At some point this year, Square
will release a "Final Fantasy Anthology 2" for the Playstation, containing
Final Fantasy IV and Chrono Trigger (where Chrono Trigger comes into it, I
don't know, but I ain't complaining!!).  Also, Square plans to make this the
"Year of Final Fantasy," rereleasing all the previous games in updated formats.
The first three will be on Bandai's handheld, the Wonderswan Color; no platform
known yet for the second three (since Nintendo flat-out said they won't let
Square develop for the Gameboy Advance); and the third three will be updated
for the PS2.  No info yet as to whether any of them will make it over here to
the US, though.  I personally am hoping Bandai releases the Wonderswan Color
here in the US so I can play the updated versions of FFI-III!  :)