Re: Cave of Exile: Dark Secrets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2001 23:01:53 GMT

In lugnet.castle.org.cw, Jeff Stembel writes:
In lugnet.castle.org.cw, Wilson Raska writes:
After many hours of working on this, it's finally done, the next chapter in
my series.  It takes off where Quest for the Crystals left off, where they
were just entering the Cave of Exile.  If you haven't read that story yet,
or forgot how it went, I would suggest you read it before you read the new • one.

Quest for the Crystals
http://www.sofast.net/~raska/crystalstory.html

Now that you understand what's going on so far, I give you. . .

Cave of Exile: Dark Secrets
(WARNING:  This story contains many powerful spell effects.  Those with a
low Magic Defense rating should equip themselves with Crystallis Armor
before proceeding.)
http://www.sofast.net/~raska/exilestory.html

Very cool!  Great job on the cave walls, but I think the pictures should have
been a little darker.  :)

I was thinking about darkening them more, but decided to go for "more
detail" which the darkening would have decreased.  I might go back and redo
some or all the photos when I have time.

I like the new elemental designs.  I guess they did
a little leveling between stories, eh?  ;)

Glad you like them!  I may go back to Quest for the Crystals and re-shoot
some of the shots to make the stories run together better.

Also, I'm going to have to agree with the others in that the giant spell names
were a tad distracting...  The spell effects were great, though.  :)

Yeah, I guess I wanted it to look like FF (yet again :-) where it shows the
spell name on the screen, but I probably went a little overboard.  Again,
when I have time, I might replace them with ones that don't have the spell name.

Wow!  This one took a long time to do.  I finally finished it tonight after
many hours of hard work over the past few weeks.  Not to mention all the
time I spent planning it out.  The image editing took a long time, as I had
to manipulate almost every shot I took.  Overall I am very pleased with the
way it turned out!

I wish I had the equipment and software to really do some stories...  Alas, I
do not...  :\  I do have access to my mother's school's Mavica (no macro,
though), so once I finish sorting all of last year's aquisitions (yes, I did
virtually *no* sorting last year), I'll do some preliminary work.  :)  I do
have some space and mecha related ideas I want to work on first, though...

I would *really* like to see some of your figs in stories, most of them are
really well designed.  And hearing that you have made airships in the past
makes me want to see them even more! :-)

In the story, you will notice that I have introduced several new characters
and revamped some others.  Most noticeably the elementals.  I just didn't
think they looked evil enough and I think their new form reflects their
evilness better.  I have changed my Elementals page to Supreme Beings in
order to include the Wizards and their henchmen.

http://www.sofast.net/~raska/supremebeings.html

How did you do Merciator's staff?  Tape?  Also, how did you get Cassandra to
hold the minifig hands?

For both of those shots I just used ordinary wax.  I put a little ball on
the end of the sabre staff and just stuck the jewel on the end.  I did the
same with Cassandra holding the gauntlets.  It held for about a week without
the objects coming apart.

You will also notice in the story that there was a lot of rock wall in the
shots.  I accomplished the effect of a cave by using rock-wall sections that
connected with technic pins.

Neat idea!  I may have to do something similar if I ever incorporate a cavern
into one of my stories.  :)

Glad you like it!  Yeah, during "filming", I was relocating the wall to
another part of the room when I tipped it too far on its side, causeing it
to break in half horizontally and shatter on the ground.  To put it lightly:
I was a *little* upset! ;-)  Most of it was salvagable though, and I only
had to patch up some holes.  It also bent a couple of friction pins on impact.

Thanks for the comments and "constructive criticism" Jeff!
Wilson