 Castle / 7931
Re: More custom castle helms
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 17:27:39 GMT

Have you tried the Tamiya or Gunze Sangyo (sp?) lines of water-based
acrylics?  They are matched to the FS color scale, and are pretty faithful
in their results.  I'm not sure where you can get one, but if you can come
up with a FS color chip set, you can probably match up the dark grey and
light grey pretty closely.  Then it's just a matter of finding the closest
match in a hobby paint and lightening or darkening it.

A good-quality hobby shop that caters to aircraft modelers (static, not R/C)
would probably be able to help you match those colors.  Of course, you're
liable to get sucked into a whole new hobby  :)

James Wilson

In lugnet.castle, Kyle Peterson writes:

Well, the real trick is getting to match the paint color to the LEGO dark
gray. I've successfully done this *once*. I use water-based acrylic paints
only and the final color changes once its dry and depending on how various
light shines on it. Black is easy, White is easy, Silver is the easiest. I
put two coats of silver on the helmets because I believe it makes a nice
undercoat for whatever color it eventually gets painted. Keep in mind that
Silver helmets actually look good on Black Falcon and DragonMaster figures
which have silver in their torso decor.

As a minifig customizer, the biggest problem I come up with is mixing paints
to reflect the right color. I can get pretty darn close, however; the paint
itself changes depending on a number of variables.
For Dark gray it takes a combination of black, white, brown, and yellow to
achieve the proper color. I'm wondering if anyone is daring enough to come
up with a formula for LEGO colors? (ie. two parts black, to three parts
white, to one part brown...etc).

-K