 Castle / 7917
Re: More custom castle helms
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 20 Feb 2001 20:11:59 GMT

Funny you should mention this!  I just got another batch of RTV-rubber
yesterday to finish up an action figure project I've been working on.
I would be happy to give it a try if no one else is game, but I would
suggest the second or third most popular helmet first just to see if
it would work out, or else a duplicate of the most popular helmet
(Sculpey is porous and excessive moisture will make it fragile, unless
you sealed all surfaces including the interior of the helmet first
with a primer).  You might not get the original back intact.  Also, it
is a lot easier to cast if the pattern didn't have pre-formed holes
such as the eyeholes or any breathing holes (dents are fine).  The
negative space often results in the resin not being able to reach all
areas of the cast, because while it is very thin, it is more viscous
than water.  The resin is workable after it's cured to cut, drill,
sand, etc. etc. so you can cut the holes out later.  A light
impression indicating where the holes should be cut are fine, so you
don't have to go hunting for them later.  LMK if you want to sacrifice
one.

"kyle peterson" <kyle@peterson.net> wrote in message
Sorry for the addendum to my own post.

Thanks to those who provided me with cast molding info. • Unfortunately, this
is not my area of expertise. If someone with the experience of cast • molding
is willing to step up and evaluate my custom helms to see if they • have the
potential for cast molding, feel free.

Also, in reference to my wife resetting the oven temperature, the • warning to
the general audience obvously could mean: wife, husband, life • partner, son,
daughter, boyfriend, girlfriend, father, mother, grandfather, • grandmother,
uncle, aunt (and all the greats and great greats), butler, maid, • babysitter,
best friend, friend, real-estate agent (if you have your house up • for sale),
home health care worker, nosy neighbor, inconsiderate burglars, • well, you
get the idea. In my case it was my wife; and in no way am I stating • that my
wife was out to sabotage my fun ;).

-Kyle