 Castle / 7916
Re: More custom castle helms
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 20 Feb 2001 19:37:23 GMT

I found the post about the first batch of custom helms, and discovered that
you use Sculpey...  Should have searched a bit more first.

It's pretty easy to cast things in resin.  All you need is a good master (it
looks like you have several...)  You can find the basics at
http://www.alumilite.com  as well as product information.  I have not done
this, but in a former life (before kids) I built scale models, and several
guys in our club made their own parts out of resin.  I have seen it done,
start to finish, and all it takes is a bit of patience and willingness to
experiment.
The finished resin parts come out tan (or whatever color your resin of
choice is), so you'd have to paint them.  You could airbrush them with
Testor Metallizer paints, then overspray with Future floor wax (pretty
standard scale-modeling technique).
If you like hand-carving each one out of Sculpey (or Fimo), you could try
this: you can mount a blob of the clay on a stick, then chuck the stick up
in a variable speed drill.  Then you can "turn" it like on a lathe, at a low
speed.  It's probably soft enough when baked to use wood tools on.

Sorry for the length.  I'm not even a "castle" builder.  Just happened upon
your post, and it started the wheels turning.  I want to go home, grab some
Fimo from the kids, and get cracking....

James Wilson