 Castle / 7910
  More custom castle helms

Well, I think I've been getting better. Not sure if you remember my first two attempts at custom castle helms: (URL) is the latest: (URL) are just variations of the traditional Great Helm....with the exception of the Barbute helmet on the very end. (...) (23 years ago, 20-Feb-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: More custom castle helms

Sorry for the addendum to my own post. Thanks to those who provided me with cast molding info. Unfortunately, this is not my area of expertise. If someone with the experience of cast molding is willing to step up and evaluate my custom helms to see (...) (23 years ago, 20-Feb-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: More custom castle helms

(...) Ok, I'll bite... I like the two on the extreme left, but my favorite one is the one that is second from the right. It would look perfectly at home as a step between the one-piece helmets and the visored helm (which does have indentations as (...) (23 years ago, 20-Feb-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: More custom castle helms

Wow, those are all sweet. I like #3 and #5 with "breathing holes". (23 years ago, 20-Feb-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: More custom castle helms

Ok, I hate to jump the "how-to" gun, but how did you make these? You mentioned the oven, so I'm assuming Fimo? Now that I think about it, as long as you have a good "master" you can cast lots in resin with a RTV (room-temperature-vulcanizing rubber) (...) (23 years ago, 20-Feb-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: More custom castle helms

(...) Variety is the spice of life - they all look good. The breathing holes add a little something. I like the Barbute, though I don't recall them having the heavy central ridge. I gotta go get some Sculpy. :-) Bruce (23 years ago, 20-Feb-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: More custom castle helms

I found the post about the first batch of custom helms, and discovered that you use Sculpey... Should have searched a bit more first. It's pretty easy to cast things in resin. All you need is a good master (it looks like you have several...) You can (...) (23 years ago, 20-Feb-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: More custom castle helms

Funny you should mention this! I just got another batch of RTV-rubber yesterday to finish up an action figure project I've been working on. I would be happy to give it a try if no one else is game, but I would suggest the second or third most (...) (23 years ago, 20-Feb-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: More custom castle helms

(...) otherwise I wish TLC actually made these. I have been messing with sculpey in other areas, but maybe it's time to bring into my lego stuff. -- Richard (23 years ago, 20-Feb-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: More custom castle helms

More great work, Kyle! I like the fifth one the best of this lot, with a first four being toss-ups. I still am very fond of the flat top helms, however. As far as rtv molding goes, if Bianca is willing, go for it! With our upcoming sticker project, (...) (23 years ago, 20-Feb-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: More custom castle helms

(...) As far as mounting the sculpey on a stick, it follows that if you get a wood dowel the same diameter as a minifig's head (and possible carving a stud on the end?), you would be saving yourself some work down the road. Kevin (23 years ago, 20-Feb-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: More custom castle helms

(...) I don't know about the silver paint, -- Richard I think they would all look a little more "LEGO-esgue" if they were painted in Dark Grey and/or black instead of metallic silver -- Eric (...) Well, the real trick is getting to match the paint (...) (23 years ago, 21-Feb-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: More custom castle helms Reply

I liked the first Helms you made...... Now only if you could make them out of plastic, those would be worth buying!! Doyle (...) (23 years ago, 22-Feb-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: More custom castle helms

Have you tried the Tamiya or Gunze Sangyo (sp?) lines of water-based acrylics? They are matched to the FS color scale, and are pretty faithful in their results. I'm not sure where you can get one, but if you can come up with a FS color chip set, you (...) (23 years ago, 22-Feb-01, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: More custom castle helms (Kyle!)

Kyle, you still around? I went back to this message to do some research on the Sculpey process, but your web page seems to be inaccessable now. I recently chopped off the camail on some "flair" helmets to get more norman looking helmets. Liking (...) (22 years ago, 13-Sep-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: More custom castle helms (Kyle!)

(...) Bruce (and others), I have pretty much been lurking around at LUGNET and not actively building anything. I did draft up a quick (primitive) tutorial to help people get started on sculpting custom helmets for their minifigures. Perhaps it might (...) (22 years ago, 16-Sep-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: More custom castle helms (Kyle!)

Kyle, thanks for taking the time to write this up. I'm only one more who is curious about trying this, but wouldn't know what was in store before jumping in. -Erik (22 years ago, 16-Sep-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: More custom castle helms (Kyle!)

(...) Thanks for the reply! In the meantime, I shaved the top off a traditional bullet helm, slapped on some binary epoxy putty, let it cure, and now I'm in the process of grinding it into something that looks like a great helm (the flat top (...) (22 years ago, 16-Sep-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: More custom castle helms

Is anyoe else having problems viewing these helmets? I gte the message that Netscape cannot access the server or something. I must say have been looking foirward to seeing more of these helms, and without actually seeing them yet, I woud agree that (...) (22 years ago, 16-Sep-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: More custom castle helms

Hey, Well, I'm the guy with the "LITTLE ARMORY". Any questions? Oh, and btw...BAKING sculpey? Not for such small pieces like helms. Try boiling a little water, then carefully put your piece in. Let it boil for about 2-5 minutes(size thing)and you're (...) (22 years ago, 17-Sep-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: More custom castle helms

(...) Judging from the pictures, it looks like you are taking stock pieces of plastic and cutting/glueing basic shapes together to get you final piece. The Great Helm (beautifully done) looks like you have worked over an existing minifig helm...? (...) (22 years ago, 17-Sep-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: More custom castle helms

(...) Hey Bruce, Yes, the Great Helm was indeed made over an existing helmet. I'm most likely going to remake it(better), or change a few things in the mold itself when it come time. There are other helmets in the works... Process of making them? By (...) (22 years ago, 20-Sep-02, to lugnet.castle)